cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: APP not working

Dropbox APP missing

ConstructoraBCN
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The main reason why the construction company that I represent, had decided to start using Dropbox instead of a server are 2

1) Everything is in the iCloud no need to have computers with a lot of memory capacity

2) Everything was really easy to manage with the Dropbox App with the PC and Handy, especially in terms of internal communication, being able to leave a message and comments or instructions on each document or folder, and all the documents no matter which format was easy to visualize, you had a preview of any document... so when you get in a folder you see the documents, not just the name and format (like now).

The main reason why the construction company that I represent, had decided to start searching for a substitution of Dropbox

No Dropbox APP = We are searching for a new solution.     WE USE TO OPERATE ALWAYS DIRECTLY THROUGH THE APP

Dropbox's website is not easy to manage as was with the app...

Dropbox's website; you can see a preview of each document, has issues to open lots of formats, etc...

Dropbox's website; not comfortable to interact with a team big as our

Dropbox's Desk; in order to see the previews I do have to synchronize all so... use the memory capacity of my computer.. so If you have a 2 T of information, you better get a PC with this capacity... Why use a Cloud if at the end you need to use your computer memory capacity? Can someone explain me????

Dropbox Desk; no way to internally communicate with a team, no way to leave a message or tag anyone in a comment...

Resume:

Dropbox instead of going forward... is going backward... The App was a great and easy solution for big corporations... 

My team and I are absolutely disappointed that you have deleted the App, and we HATE and find useless the Desk solution.

I hope you fix the App soon, otherways you are definitely losing us as clients...

55 Replies 55

Chaim
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

As far as I can see, the claim that no functionality was lost by discontinuing the desktop app is just plain false! In the desktop app, it was simple to move the Dropbox folder to a different location. Does anyone have a clue whether it's possible to move the Dropbox folder now at all - and, if so, how?! Thank you!

KimFelton
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

If this is the case, I will be migrating my business account elsewhere. Trying to sift through a massive amount of law firm files, through a Mac finder is not efficient, and it's not the experience I signed up for. Glad to know that this is the direction they have headed in. 

Edit to add: after some researching, it looks like part of the problem is Apple choosing to depreciate the kernel that Dropbox uses for the client https://www.macrumors.com/2022/01/27/macos-12-3-deprecates-dropbox-onedrive-kexts/ 

GCAT
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I tried someone's fix to go to General and uncheck early releases but that  did not work.

I used to see all the folders that were set up nice. 

I am unable to see if my coworkers downloaded files now. I

This new app is not user friendly and just plain ugly.

To see everything in  File explorer setting is awful to ,look at. Very disappointed in Dropbox of which I also own stock in. 

littlehero
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello, 

Whenever I click into the drobox on my windows, it directs me to the files instead, and it doesn't have the dropbox app in the menu below. I re-installed it and downloaded it again, but it still doesn't have the app. 

Someone else had a similar problem (though with a mac), but following the support he was given, all of his data was wiped away. You can search for him here. 

Are there any other methods to help?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@littlehero wrote:

Whenever I click into the drobox on my windows, it directs me to the files instead, and it doesn't have the dropbox app in the menu below. I re-installed it and downloaded it again, but it still doesn't have the app.

That portion of the Dropbox app no longer exists. You can manage your files in Explorer (Windows) or Finder (Mac). All other functions of the app remain unchanged.

littlehero
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Hello,

Sorry I think there’s a misunderstanding. I can’t access the dropbox app, I can’t find it. When I do click on the dropbox icon on my windows homepage, it directs me to the dropbox files instead.

Sheila M.8
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

It is absolutely FALSE that no features were removed!  How can I do selective sync??  All of your website instructions say "use the app", which you killed.  I am rapidly looking for an alternative, but am curious if you will refund the yearly fee I just paid for Professional, as you changed the terms with no notice.  SHAME ON YOU for ruining something that has worked well for years.

Sheila M.8
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have been a user of dropbox forever.  With dropbox ending support for the desktop app, I no longer can use Selective Sync, which was at the heart of how I used the product.  I have multiple computers, and different files are held locally on each of them.  I need those files to be local because I have to access without internet.  But none of the computers can hold all of the files I have.... ergo, the Selective part of selective sync.

how am I supposed to use this product without the Preferences control that the desktop App gave me?  Why did you ruin such a great product by taking away the App?  And please don't tell me "no functionality was removed".  Really, it was.  Even you own web based documentation only can explain how to do certain things by referring a user to the App.  

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Sheila M.8, this feature was never removed from the app. When you click the Dropbox icon near the clock, you can click on the avatar on the top right, then Preferences, and Sync to amend the selective sync settings.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Sheila M.8
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Jay,

Thanks for attempting to answer this.  However, the directions you provided only work in the non-defunct desktop app.  The only thing that happens when you click on the icon on the taskbar now is that the file explorer/finder window opens to the dropbox folder.  That's it.  No window opens, no avatar is there, and no ability to adjust preferences exists.  If you look at this very long thread, you will see this issue is what we are all complaining about.  Dropbox somewhat stealthily removed the app and its functionality.

Need more support?