cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: DropBox Is Not Saving Screenshots, Even Though This Feature Has Been Enabled in BackUp

Dropbox is not saving screenshots, even though this feature has been enabled in backup

Machaut2024
Explorer | Level 3

Ever since transferring to a new laptop that runs Windows 11, I have been unable to save new Screenshots to Dropbox. The first problem I had was that Windows' infernal and ridiculous Snipping Tool has now made it take longer to take a screenshot. Previously, I pressed Prtsc and the screenshot went straight to Dropbox on my old laptop. This worked for moving video. Now I have to wait for the Snipping Tool to load. 

I complained to Microsoft, who have still said that I need to contact Dropbox about the screenshots not saving there. Right now, the screenshots are being directed to a folder inside 'This PC' on Windows. I want them sent to Dropbox instead. I have been told to ask Dropbox to deal with this issue. 

Please could the Dropbox team provide a fix for this issue?

19 Replies 19

Machaut2024
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks. 

Dropbox 195.4.4995

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for clarifying that for us @Machaut2024 

A new version of the desktop app just got out, could you give it a go from this page and let us know how it goes? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Machaut2024
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks, Walter. Do I have to uninstall my existing app?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

No need for that @Machaut2024 - just reinstall using the link I provided earlier. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Machaut2024
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter: I have downloaded the new version of Dropbox as instructed. I have also unticked the 'Share screenshots with Dropbox' and applied. I have then reticked that section. Screenshots are still being routed to the Windows screenshots folder via the Snipping Tool, rather than to Dropbox. Is there any step I have missed?

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Machaut2024, sorry to jump in here. 

When talking with Microsoft, did you ask them perhaps if it’s possible to remove the Snipping tool from your device (since I understand you’d rather not use it)? This could perhaps resolve the issue you're having with Dropbox, as well.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Machaut2024
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Nancy-- yes, I had tried uninstalling this Snipping Tool, and the result was that it took even longer to take a screenshot. Nor was there any pathway to saving a screenshot anywhere. The main issue is that this Snipping Tool reroutes screenshots to a Windows user file, and I cannot see any way of breaking that chain. 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

I hope this hasn’t been suggested already and I missed it, but have you tried hitting on the Windows Logo Key + PrtScn button or Alt + PrtScn instead? 

Does this help, or is the Snipping Tool still being launched?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Machaut2024
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Nancy

The Windows key + PrtSc makes it take longer for the PrtSc function to load. This then launches the Snipping Tool, rather than leading to Dropbox. 

Alt +PrtSc doesn't produce any result at all. 

Is there any other Dropbox user with Windows 11 and its Snipping Tool, who is having the same trouble getting screenshots to save directly to Dropbox?

Machaut2024
Explorer | Level 3

I have found a fix for this problem. 

I simply go to the Screenshots folder in my Windows user account, right click on it, and select 'Move to Dropbox'. This merges the existing Screenshots folder with the one I have in Dropbox. Going forward, all screenshots are saved directly to Dropbox. 

So the only issue that remains is getting Windows to deal with the slowness of their Snipping Tool and its interruption of video.

Need more support?