cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgraded Dropbox to basic and accidentally deleted entire Dropbox folder from my D Drive

Downgraded Dropbox to basic and accidentally deleted entire Dropbox folder from my D Drive

geoffwales
Explorer | Level 4

I thought it was a full backup, not the actual folder. I see all the files (580GB) on Dropbox online. Can I download the whole lot in one go?

Are they safe or will Dropbox delete them forever? I now have no access to live chat...

19 Replies 19

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @geoffwales! Thanks for posting on the Community.

If your device is still linked to your Dropbox account and the folder is empty locally, please make sure to disconnect this specific device from Dropbox before doing anything else. Otherwise, you risk having your files deleted from your web account as well, since it’ll look like you deleted them from your desktop app and these changes will sync to our servers.

Also, even if you relink the Dropbox app after that, you’ll most likely receive an error that it can’t sync everything, since you don’t have enough space on your Dropbox account.

If there’s something you need to download urgently, please try using the website, and let me know if you run into any issues.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

geoffwales
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for the reply.

I did exit Dropbox on my PC straightaway. I am in the process of manually downloading folders, which is a real pain.

Why? There are so many folders I had to bundle folders together. Then I get a message that the resulting folder is too large to zip. Then I try to move some folders out, but I can't find out how big they are and moving them is very hard as I don't know where I can move them too, other than to another folder.

A very unintuitive experience, all in all.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @geoffwales, I understand where you're coming from, however, by downgrading your account to the free version with 2 GB of space, having 580 GB of files in it, would get your account over its quota.

When the account is over quota, the application will no longer sync, so you can't really sync your files through the app anymore, unless you re-upgrade to go under quota.

That's why you'll have to download your files in batches from the website.

I hope this clarifies things.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Dondon1975
Helpful | Level 6

Hi.how do I sort out my folders..I ha e a back up on griends.old.lap.top..it's mixed some hers in..but.still go most files!! Still thrr.old computer stuff. Some saved by dropbox..not aww.it I vcsnn.work!it!!.greeetingzzz!..So I don't at ..does stuff stay..foteer..in.dropbox!?.can I synch my Google stugg.. Microsoft.vidz.pisetc..to fropbox..then !take a stick?? Or catd??..org can I help! Thanks! Donna..

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey there, @Dondon1975, I hope you're doing well!

If I understand the situation correctly, it sounds like you had connected your Dropbox account on a friend's device, and enabled Backup there. 

Is that right? If not, feel free to clarify more about this. 

You should be able to disable the feature using your Backup page online. Can you try, and let me know if you come across any issues? 

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Dondon1975
Helpful | Level 6

Hi! How do I do this!?.. I lost..mm..my.laptop..broken...used a friennds...to see if my stuff was still there....I then looked at times from my tablet.. I tried to email somestuff..and it was too big I cancelled it..

The email transfer..

Now it's all showing but some is in Dropbox but like 20  plus in onefolder?? And adopt plus stuff extrazz..in other drop box one...

How do I get into my box at the side to view files or get them..rewound??

Im.too.scared

I feel I wish I'd knwn.I could use on!y dropbox.. That's isssss.thee.backup is it not????.. Is it? On a c!oud of something??

Thanks ok as merci..gracias...cheeeerrrzzz!!!.....

It's a course I had in hypnotherapy CBT and I will lose the files audio.papers.lots of three grand info from the course..!!.

Can u help it's been one day I have thirty days to rewind!.???

Dondon1975
Helpful | Level 6

Plz reply to [email removed as per Community Guidelines] ..'re gettin.back from lots of ..my fault can't work. It!!.

But how to get back into drop box!.I have starred most of met ya i.porta t stuff. But I can't see the files ?.. The data.is fifty odds used.between two downloads dropbox.to old lappy.wini.7......and dafty.me.used a tablet awww...can u help recover files???..Donna mcneill........twenty nine days to get it resound So much for backups!!!. Nooh!!    I don't getthat??. Plzhelppppp.plzzzzz......ifucannnn.it's the only reason I got it..likedit.. I like the pocket idea..but canny work it it seems!!

Donna........how fire Get ...backups?? Into dropbox..wa t is it is it not saves somewhere...safe??..online??..helppp!!!!!plz....

Dondon1975
Helpful | Level 6

Yeh!! But I need u megaaannnnnnn!!!!!..   Thanks!!!

Dondon1975
Helpful | Level 6

Still don't know wa t to do but trryyin.folks..megan.n.all...!!...thanks.plzzzz.help!.tbanks.

Donna

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

bennybenny Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Dondon1975 Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?