cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Couldn't Start Dropbox - macOS Monterey

Couldn't Start Dropbox - macOS Monterey

amiralin
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

After installing the new macOS Monterey I am getting the below error 

Couldn't start Dropbox

This is usually because of a permissions error. Storing your home folder on a network share can also cause an error. For more information, click the help button below.

I tried to remove dropbox using instructions on the website and re-install using advance install and still see the error. 

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 133.4.4089
bn.constants.WINDOWS_SHELL_EXT_VERSION: 51
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: 523bf589-eb29-56d6-9beb-1631aa56ce2b
pid: 1077
ppid: 1
uid: 501
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='amirnathoo', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Amirali Nathoo', pw_dir='/Users/amirnathoo', pw_shell='/bin/zsh')
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='amirnathoo', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Amirali Nathoo', pw_dir='/Users/amirnathoo', pw_shell='/bin/zsh')
euid: 501
gid: 20
egid: 20
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root'])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root'])
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: '/'
     real_path='/'
            mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
     parent mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: '/Users/amirnathoo'
appdata: '/Users/amirnathoo/.dropbox/instance1'
         real_path='/Users/amirnathoo/.dropbox/instance1'
                mode=0o40700 uid=501 gid=20
         parent mode=0o40755 uid=501 gid=20
dropbox_path: '/Users/amirnathoo/Dropbox'
              real_path='/Users/amirnathoo/Dropbox'
sys_executable: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
                real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
                      mode=0o100755 uid=501 gid=20
trace.__file__: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
                real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
                      not found
                parent not found
tempdir: '/var/folders/xq/rpxg71x17dj4ylbw_svqhdjc0000gn/T'
         real_path='/private/var/folders/xq/rpxg71x17dj4ylbw_svqhdjc0000gn/T'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 808, in wrapper
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 6497, in finish_dropbox_boot
  File "dropbox/client/message_queue.pyc", line 307, in _wrapped
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 6030, in _init_components_for_account
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 5954, in create_sync_engine
  File "dropbox/sync_engine_boundary/factory.pyc", line 226, in make_sync_engine
  File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/sync_engine.pyc", line 280, in __init__
  File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/modern_client/modern_client.pyc", line 222, in __init__
  File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/modern_client/base.pyc", line 152, in __init__
  File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/thin_adapter/in_proc.pyc", line 217, in __init__
  File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/thin_adapter/in_proc.pyc", line 587, in _init_new_engine_locked
  File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/thin_client/client.pyc", line 185, in __init__
  File "desktop/extensions/nucleus/nucleus_python.pyx", line 76, in nucleus_python.NucleusSyncEngine.__cinit__
nucleus_python.SyncEngineError: "Initializing engine |>> Initializing filesystem |>> Attempting to register icons |>> fchflags syscall: _set_hidden |>> Permission denied"

please assist

91 Replies 91

jdoakes
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It worked like a charm!

amiralin
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Not sure it could be a different issue

iancackett
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Jay,

Are these steps (or instructions for doing them) going to be incorporated into the Dropbox app at some point? I doubt all Mac users upgrading to Monterey are going to come here to read this.

Also, is there a reason this page still says Big Sur is the latest supported? https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/system-requirements Perhaps that will be updated once the app helps Monterey upgraders through these manual steps?

I’m still holding off on the Monterey upgrade until I see fewer threads on here reporting problems and the System Requirements page updated to say Monterey is supported, to be honest.

iancackett
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi @Jay 

(Apologies for duplicate post, but wanted to link your username so you see it)

Are these steps (or instructions for doing them) going to be incorporated into the Dropbox app at some point? I doubt all Mac users upgrading to Monterey are going to come here to read this.

Also, is there a reason this page still says Big Sur is the latest supported? https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/system-requirements Perhaps that will be updated once the app helps Monterey upgraders through these manual steps?

I’m still holding off on the Monterey upgrade until I see fewer threads on here reporting problems and the System Requirements page updated to say Monterey is supported, to be honest.

cheriece97
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you for the tips!  I have been so frustrated for two days unable to access Dropbox App.  Your suggestions - and the step-by-step of what finally worked for you is magic - and I now am able to get it going as it should be.  It's nice for you to take so much time to help those of us who were lost!!

maraslav
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Hannah

I'm having a problem where dropbox app quits unexpectedly now that I've upgraded to Monterey 12.01.

I can't see the steps you are referring to in your post above. Please can you advise how I can go about rectifying this issue.

Thanks

Matt

emmanuelchurch
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you this solution worked perfectly!

C-L
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

You are a life saver; it worked, thank you so much!

tnalecz
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I got the message: Unable to launch the Dropbox application.

This is most likely due to incorrect permissions. Storing your user folder in a network share may also cause this error.

Larwir
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Ok everyone that still can't get Dropbox to work after trying @Jay and others solutions in this thread – at last, I found a solution that worked for me!

Rename your local Dropbox folders and restart Dropbox. It then says that your folder/folders are moved and can't sync. You then get the alternative to re-connect your Dropbox account, re-installing the app. Choose that and it will re-install your folders with the old names – and voila, it syncs! You can then trash the re-named Dropbox folders.

Good luck!

Need more support?