cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We just wanted to say thank you! Check out our customer appreciation video here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't uninstall an application that points to the old Dropbox folder name

Can't uninstall an application that points to the old Dropbox folder name

cmiarshvac
Helpful | Level 6

I am trying to uninstall an application in Windows that was installed before Dropbox changed the Root folder name for my organization: Dropbox (Org name) -> Org name Dropbox .  The uninstall is getting stuck because it can't find file that point to the old Dropbox path.  Is there a simple was to address this?  It seems like the old Dropbox folder might be hidden by Windows. Do I unhide the old Dropbox folder or is there another trick?

6 Replies 6

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @cmiarshvac, thanks for reaching out to the Dropbox Community!

Would you mind sending us a screenshot of what you see when you try to uninstall this app?

Thanks in advance.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

cmiarshvac
Helpful | Level 6

uninstall Error message_redacted.png

Rich
Super User II

@cmiarshvac wrote:

The uninstall is getting stuck because it can't find file that point to the old Dropbox path.  Is there a simple was to address this?

You could try to manually move the files back to their original location and then run the uninstall again. If that doesn't work you'll need to contact the application's Support group for help, or try a third party software uninstaller. This isn't a Dropbox issue.

cmiarshvac
Helpful | Level 6

Thank you Rich.  I was thinking about recreating the original path and moving the appropriate files into that location.  Wish me luck.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@cmiarshvac, In most of the cases would be enough creation of link/shortcut named "C:\Users\...\Dropbox (...)" that points to your new Dropbox folder itself (or to some of the nested folders if the internal folder tree structure has changed). 😉

Good luck.

cmiarshvac
Helpful | Level 6

Genius idea. Thank you.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

cmiarshvac Helpful | Level 6
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?