cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I create an alias for my Dropbox folder on macOS?

Can I create an alias for my Dropbox folder on macOS?

SPTL
New member | Level 2

How do I create a Dropbox folder alias in my base username directory on my Mac Mini (Sonoma MacOs)? My Dropbox folder exists as /Users/[my user name]/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox. I am starting out using GnuCash (Personal Finance App) and am trying to save the GnuCash data file to DropBox but can’t see DropBox when I click “SaveAs” button in GnuCash; all I see are locations on the local computer. When I go to Finder I do see DropBox. To save the data file to DropBox when I can’t see DropBox when I click “SaveAs” button I have been advised to create a Dropbox folder alias in my base username directory on my Mac Mini (Sonoma MacOs)

3 Replies 3

Mark
Super User II

Hi @SPTL 

Dropbox doesnt support aliases. So the files itself would need to be saved inside of the Dropbox folder directly. If GnuCash isn't able to see/open the new folder locations the developer needs to update it to the latest API that works with this. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

SPTL
New member | Level 2
I am a novice and not a techie. My GnuCash data file is saved in a shared Dropbox folder. GnuCash cannot open it as it does not see the Dropbox folder. When I copy/paste the file, using Finder, from Dropbox folder to a local folder physically on my Sonoma MacOS Mac Mini then I can open it. My wife can see the Dropbox folder when she clicks the “Save As” button in GnuCash on her MacBook using an older MacOS. Perhaps GnuCash needs to update something (API?) to work in Sonoma MacOS, so upon clicking “Open” or “Save As” button the user can see the Dropbox.

Mark
Super User II

@SPTL wrote:
Perhaps GnuCash needs to update something (API?) to work in Sonoma MacOS, so upon clicking “Open” or “Save As” button the user can see the Dropbox.

They will I'm afraid - as Apple have changed how files are stored on Mac's recently so it seems like its not updated the software to do this

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    SPTL New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?