cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I add Dropbox folders in Finder Sidebar in macOS Somona 14.3?

Can I add Dropbox folders in Finder Sidebar in macOS Somona 14.3?

DB29
Explorer | Level 4

Hi community,

does adding folders from my dropbox to the Finder Sidebar cause problems nowadays?

I am afraid to try and I am asking because two or three years ago I had the following problem: folders from my dropbox, which I added to the Finder Sidebar were working correctly (synching, etc.) for a few hours or days and then, without warning or notification about it, they were just copies of the dropbox folders, located deep in my macOS Library and not inside the dropboy anymore, which caused that they didn't synch anymore. So basically I got duplicate folders, one online in the dropbox synching and one offline on my Mac's internal drive in the Library not synching (the one in the Sidebar). It took me a while to find out and the damage was already done (a lot of duplicates and some lost data because of no synching, etc.). I also got the feeling that dropbox in general behaved a little weird after that, especially in regards to "online-only" und "make available offline" behavious. But a few months later there was a big change in the way Dropbox was integrated into macOS, the location of the main Dropbox folder changed from Documents to Locations – and after that the weird bahaviour stopped. But I never tried again to add folders from my Dropbox to the Finder Sidebar, because I was too afraid it would mess things up again. But now I really need that again for my workflow, but still I'm afraid to try.

Sorry for the maybe too detailed description.

Thanks in advance.

1 Reply 1

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @DB29, thanks for your question!

Although the update to Dropbox for macOS moved your Dropbox folder to ~/Library/CloudStorage and made it accessible from Locations, individual folders can still be moved from your Dropbox folder to Favorites for quick access.

I hope this helps and you can see more expected changes with the Dropbox for macOS update here.

Cheers!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?