cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blindsided by update notification, how to proceed

Blindsided by update notification, how to proceed

sfemet
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi everyone,

I want to thank you in advance for your help, I am a very confident computer user, but I did not have any indication this update was coming, I hope you'll be patient with me, as I am trying to get a handle on things.

Here's my setup:

I am a free user. I have Dropbox on a mac mini (12.6.1), a MacBook Air (MacOS 10.14.6), and the app on an iPad mini (iPadOS 15,7.1).

Both computers have specific files in the local DropBox folder, just things I share between the two computers.

The iPad has no local files, I only use it as a view-only app.

This morning, the DropBox icon in the menu bar of my mac mini (MacOS 12.6.1) informed me of a required update.

I see it in the menu bar of the MacBook Air as well.

I read through the information provided (the Get Started link).  I just want to make sure I understand what will happen.

1. Both computers have all the files stored locally. After I update, would you tell me what I need to do to insure that all files stay local?

Is there a setting I need to look for after I update?

2. Will the Dropbox folder be moved to the new location regardless of the different OS versions? I have Mojave on the MacBook Air due to software I use that is not supported in newer versions of MacOS, Mojave does not have a ~/Library/CloudStorage folder. Can I assume that folder will be created during the update?

3. I have two shortcuts in my Dock: One to the main Dropbox folder; one to a folder within Dropbox. After the main Dropbox folder moves to the new location, can I still drag and drop those shortcuts from the Finder to the Dock? (I'm pretty sure I can, since the Dock doesn't care what you drag into it. I'm just being careful).

Thank you for your help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @sfemet, thanks for using Dropbox and posting on our Community!

When it comes to your first concern, there isn't a particular setting you need to look for after the update to the new desktop app.

You can see how to make files or folders available offline or online only in this Help Center article, if needed. 

As for your second query, note that your device must be running macOS 12.5 or later to use the new Dropbox for macOS app (the one that moves your Dropbox folder to the ~/Library/CloudStorage folder. However, using macOS 13+ is strongly encouraged. 

In regards to your shortcuts, you'll probably need to re-create them after the update to make sure they work fine. 

For additional information on this, you can have a look here

I hope this helps!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @sfemet, thanks for using Dropbox and posting on our Community!

When it comes to your first concern, there isn't a particular setting you need to look for after the update to the new desktop app.

You can see how to make files or folders available offline or online only in this Help Center article, if needed. 

As for your second query, note that your device must be running macOS 12.5 or later to use the new Dropbox for macOS app (the one that moves your Dropbox folder to the ~/Library/CloudStorage folder. However, using macOS 13+ is strongly encouraged. 

In regards to your shortcuts, you'll probably need to re-create them after the update to make sure they work fine. 

For additional information on this, you can have a look here

I hope this helps!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

sfemet
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi @Walter,

Thank you for your very clear reply. If brevity is the soul of wit, clarity is the soul of tech support.

I have updated Dropbox on the mini, everything seems to be moved successfully.

I am very grateful.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No worries @sfemet - I'm happy I could help!

See you around the Community and have a lovely weekend!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    sfemet Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?