cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beta Build 191.3.4950 all my Backup files moved to their original location.

Beta Build 191.3.4950 all my Backup files moved to their original location.

Allosunshine
Explorer | Level 4

The client just updated to this build on MacOS (Sonoma 14.3) and its moved all my folders out of the backup folder and into their original location. I disabled and re-enabled the backup but while it said it would move the files into the Dropbox backup folder, they remain in their normal location still.

9 Replies 9

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Allosunshine, no worries, we'll do our best to rectify this! 

So, it seems the issue here is that you can't enable Backup at the moment. 

Have you tried doing it using your Backup page online? What do you see when you visit the page there? 

Let me know more!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Allosunshine
Explorer | Level 4

So the Desktop app updated a couple of weeks ago and since then it stopped syncing. I reinstalled the app but when I switch Backup on, the Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc folders no longer appear in the Dropbox Mac folder and are back in their original locations on the Mac.

I'm running v192.4.4605 of the Dropbox app and the latest public beta of Mac OS 14.4.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Allosunshine - sorry to hear you're still having issues with this.

Could you let us know if you tried Megan's suggestion to check your backups page online?

What do you see in the app's preferences under the Backups tab by the way? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Allosunshine
Explorer | Level 4

It would appear the folders are being backed up and I can see them online.

It's not a case of the Backup won't enable, the folders I choose to backup, previously got moved into the Dropbox\Mac folder, i.e. Dropbox\Mac\Documents, etc and a shortcut to the area in Dropbox was created at the User Folder Level, this is the part that is no longer happening.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi from me too, @Allosunshine! Are you on the Dropbox Backup Beta perhaps? 

If yes, then this is expected behavior; your computer folders will be found in their original locations on your device, but they’ll still be normally backed up to Dropbox. 

You can double check if you’re on this beta by looking at your Backups page online.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Allosunshine
Explorer | Level 4
I am on the beta. Thats a shame because i liked having the core folders in the dropbox folder in the new location. Meant i could see the files synced or not.
Is there no way for the old behaviour to happen, is this a permanent change?
If so, ill have to go back to the old school way of doing it manually.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

I’m afraid it’s not possible to go back to the previous Backup version, once the update has occurred. 

I can pass your comments to our development team as feedback, though.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

luiscarloshabibi
New member | Level 2

I'm also on the dropbox Beta. Well, my oldest and newest PC is on the beta, while my not old one is not. Still I have what remained a previous backup of my oldest PC, with 380 gb or such. I liked the previous behabiour (behaviour, I'm sorry) of your files instead of being in the local way on your pc, it instead is moved to my dropbox folder, even having the possibility of putting your files online to save space. Fortunately I have my previous backup intact, if in some way there's the way to change from the previous to the new behaviour etc. It could be impossible to roll back to the previous backup version. That's why I've deleted my duplicated local PC files as they were taking meny, meny disk space away from me. I've disabled m backup untill something could be done. I mean, for now I like the new behaviour, but still I need the old one in cases in which there's not enough space.

friendly_w
Explorer | Level 4

Hi. Same here. Once Backup is out of Beta (I have a couple of weird issues on Mac OS Sonoma with it), I'll try to recreate the former scenario by either a) trying to put links of the folders I want synchronized (like Documents, Desktop, etc) into the Dropbox folder on the Mac or b) Manually move the system-type folder (Documents, Desktop, etc) into a location under the Dropbox folder and create links in the original locations (that's what Dropbox used to do in the former version).

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

friendly_w Explorer | Level 4
    luiscarloshabibi New member | Level 2
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Allosunshine Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?