cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: AirDrop broken on MacOS Ventura

AirDrop broken on MacOS Ventura

Styline
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I'm using MacOS Ventura and I can't receive files via AirDrop anymore.

My Downloads folder is inside my Dropbox as I'm using Dropbox Backup, so it is all inside the Cloud Library now. The Spotlight Search is broken and now also I can't receive airdropped files anymore. They are sending but afterwards they are just nowhere to be found on the hard-drive. It's quite the mess.

@DropboxTeam: It would be highly appreciated if you can expedite looking into resolving the issues on Ventura!

98 Replies 98

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @LJ123, thanks for the nudge here and happy Monday!

Would it be alright if I send you an email to look further into this internally? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

LJ123
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Yes please do.  Thank you!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No worries @LJ123 - you've got :envelope: 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

swin1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Airdrop is also broken for me, I think this happened recently as well. Running Dropbox 162.4.5419 and Mac OS Monterey 12.4. I'm also using Dropbox backup so my downloads folder is in my dropbox and it's got an alias. Behavior is exactly as OP described - everything seems to be going fine but the file is nowhere to be found. I also tried search /private/var/folders for temp files that may be lingering prior to move, but can't find anything.

Unfortunately I just lost some files permanently because I airdropped them then deleted them from my phone assuming they landed safely on my mac.

LJ123
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

The problem is caused because the Dropbox update moves your main folders (Documents, Desktop, and Downloads) somewhere else on your hard drive with the latest Dropbox update if you are using the backup features on your machine.  You have to go in and disable your machine backup in the Dropbox client and it will supposedly put the folders back where they're supposed to be (be sure to keep the files on your Mac and not only in Dropbox when you disable backup - otherwise all your stuff is going to get deleted off your computer).

Then, for whatever reason, the Downloads folder will not get put back properly when you disable the backups, so AirDrop still won't work.  You'll have to go into Finder and there will be two Downloads folders in the Left Pane of your Finder window.  One of them is the real one and one isn't - the real one will have your files in it and the bad one won't.  So you'll have to remove the bad one from the Left Pane and set the real one back up in your Favorites in the left pane.  Then you'll need to remove the bad Downloads folder from your Dock bar and replace it with the real one on your Dock bar.

Once I did all that, AirDrop started working again.  So bottom line - yes, Dropbox broke it and so far they're not admitting it and have no idea how to fix it - but this is what got my Mac working properly again.  I'll never use Dropbox's backup features again, and I'm going to downgrade my subscription as I have no use for the amount of storage space I'm paying for now since I know that if I re-enable backup it will bork my machine again.

Dropbox needs to check its ego in thinking that it's a good idea for them to re-arrange people's hard drives for the heck of it.  

raphaelalexander
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I had the same issues – only disabling backups of my downloads folder helped with the problem and made AirDrop work as intended.

Charlie1999
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Same issue. Wasted tons of time troubleshooting and also manually transferring files. This wrecked my workflow on Intel and ARM Macs. Hopefully DROPBOX will patch this asap.

Michelle31
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This happened to me too!  Airdrop not working after updating dropbox.  When will this be fixed?

Michelle31
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Walter, when will this issue be resolved?

Michelle31
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Unfortunately for me, the only way for this problem to be fixed was to completely delete, uninstall DropBox from my computer AND reinstall my Ventura software.  Even just uninstalling/deleting DropBox did not fix the problem, I had to completely reinstall the software on my computer.  Now, airdrop is working just fine!

Need more support?