cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Duplicate dropbox created

A duplicate Dropbox folder has been created - which folder syncs to my web account?

pwerlin
Explorer | Level 3

I thought it would be easy to rename my Dropbox folder from 'Dropbox' to "Dropbox 3GB" 

Now I have two dropbox folders... one shows in my sidebar, and both showsunder Users/myname/ folders....

The "new" one has a checkmark on it.  

also, a lot of my photos in the dropbox say zero bytes and no longer exist although they are also in my web dropbox.

Which one is the "real" dropbox? how do I get rid of the other one? 

I cant seem to insert a screenshot .

( I am on a Macbook M2 chip running Sonoma 14.4)

Thank you.

Phyllis

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II

@pwerlin wrote:

I thought it would be easy to rename my Dropbox folder ... Which one is the "real" dropbox?

Check the Sync tab within Dropbox Preferences and it should show you the location of your Dropbox folder. For future reference, you cannot rename the Dropbox folder.

pwerlin
Explorer | Level 3

well I guess I know that now.   Preferences shows that the location is Users/myname/dropbox

but I have two in that location... 

is the one in my sidebar just an alias that points to these two folders in users?

Those both both show the same location. 

/Users/[removed per Community Guidelines]/dropbox

I am not "new" to Macs, but not familiar with all the issues with file structure.  

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi from me too, @pwerlin! The Dropbox folder that shows syncing icons next to your files should be the one syncing to our servers/your web account. 

However, I’d rather have a full screenshot of what you see as well and we can go from there. Here’s how you can attach it here: 

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

pwerlin
Explorer | Level 3

well, I did try that  - it  takes me to a box that says source, description and dimensions - I see no way to browse to an image.  

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Can you try to press Command-V on your keyboard to paste the picture here instead @pwerlin?

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?