cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Windows 11 won't let me open Dropbox documents that are on my hard drive (0x80070780 error)

Windows 11 won't let me open Dropbox documents that are on my hard drive (0x80070780 error)

dplam
Explorer | Level 3

Recently bought a new Dell xps with Windows 11.  I can open all Dropbox documents when going through the website but get and error message 0x80070780 when I try to open Dropbox documents that are on my hard drive.  That error message is "the file cannot be accessed by the system".  The Windows community says that it could be due to corrupted windows files but I ran all of the DISM diagnostics and found no corruption.  It said that it could also be due to not having administrator powers but I confirmed that I am the administrator and logged into that function.  I can access the files through the Dropbox app on my phone and tablet. What can I do to be able to access the Dropbox files located on my hard drive?

21 Replies 21

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Without being able to access the profile, it wouldn't be possible to troubleshoot any further, since we need to know if the Dropbox desktop application was syncing normally, or if there any other steps we could try from there.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dplam
Explorer | Level 3

I have uninstalled Dropbox app and then rebooted.  Then installed Dropbox app as administrator.  I have access to all files for a while but by the end of the day, I can no longer access any dropbox files that were created before the date that I set up my new desktop that the app is on.

I then uninstalled dropbox app, rebooted, made administrator inactive and reinstalled dropbox app.  Same thing, works for a while but by the end of the day I cannot access the files in dropbox app that were created before I bought/setup this new laptop.

I do not have a dropbox icon in my taskbar that shows whether or not it is syncing.  It appears that One Drive is active and syncs, though. Could Dropbox and One Drive be conflicting with each other?

Need more support?