cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Remove "Log in or sign up" Popup when downloading from a shared link

Remove "Log in or sign up" Popup when downloading from a shared link

TAMINOPROD
Helpful | Level 6

We recently chose Dropbox as the best-looking and most functional drive-sharing tool for our video production company. However, there's an annoying popup prompting clients to log in or sign up when we share links. The "Continue with download only" button is easily missed, especially by older clients, making us look unprofessional. It's frustrating that such a customizable platform has this issue. We hope for a solution soon!

21 Replies 21

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @TAMINOPROD, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you attach a screenshot showing what you're describing?

Are you sharing a link to a file or folder?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

TAMINOPROD
Helpful | Level 6

Hey @Jay

Yes of course here's an example Link of how I would like to send my Videos or Images to Clients: [Removed as per Community Guidelines]

And here are two pictures on what happens when you press download and don't have an account:

Screenshot at Jun 06 19-06-19.png

Screenshot at Jun 06 19-06-41.png

it would be perfect if that popup would not come up and we could just download the files without any account and popup.

 

 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the info. You could try following these steps to force the Dropbox site to immediately download the file, without seeing this preview page.

Would this satisfy your requirements?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

TAMINOPROD
Helpful | Level 6

Hey @Jay

Thank you for your reply. What you sent me worked, but it's not satisfying at all. Our clients want to preview the files and then choose which ones to download, or download all after having a quick look.

A link with a direct download without pressing anything is even more unprofessional than letting the client press the download button themselves. No one wants an instant download popup.

We would really like to just remove the popup when you press the download button. We are not the only ones; there are several posts from people who wish to have this option. There are already two other sign-in/login buttons on the link you can share.

At least remove it for the paid plans.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

We appreciate the feedback on this matter. 

We take all comments into consideration when improving the Dropbox site and services.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Sterney
New member | Level 2

Hey Dropbox,

Just to add my feedback:

Just went through this with one of my clients. I sent them a link, they emailed me back asking me to send a file where they don't have to sign up for dropbox. I had to reverse engineer what was happening by using the link in a private browser window where I wasn't logged into dropbox.

The problem is the 'Or continue with download' link is very obscure and just a line of underlined type - very secondary to the large blue 'Continue' button. This should at least be a clear blue 'Download' button.

Would look more professional and not waste time on back and forth between myself and client.

They happen to use Digital Pigeon - when they send me stuff I click the download button once and it starts downloading. I'm not taken to a login screen.

Thanks

Johvial
New member | Level 2

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I am trying to share an archive with many files within many subfolders. The viewers need to be able to preview the files before downloading, as there is too much to download it all, as they would only want to see bits and pieces of it. I hope Dropbox can improve this part of their service.

_Joshua
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Jay, is there any update on when this pop up box will be removed? I have had multiple long time clients ask me why they now have to sign in to download their files. To which I have had to reply with a guide with screenshots on how to download the file.

_Joshua
Helpful | Level 6

In the last few months I've started experiencing a significant issue when sharing view-only download links with my clients. When they click the "Download" button, a pop-up box now appears, prompting them to log in or sign up. There is an option at the bottom of the box that says "Or continue with download only," but it is in small text and easily overlooked. As a result, I’ve received multiple emails from clients asking why they need to sign in to download the files, something they never had to do before. To resolve this, I have to send them screenshots highlighting the option, which is time-consuming and unprofessional.

Additionally, I had a client insist that this option was not available for them and went back and forth twice before I found out that they had their browser zoomed in slightly and the download button was blocked by Dropbox's cookie notice (image attached).

I have been a loyal Dropbox user for many years, but this new addition to the download process is creating a poor experience for my clients and making me appear unprofessional. While I understand Dropbox might benefit from new sign-ups, this practice feels misleading and unethical. Furthermore, the cookie notice issue, though likely unintentional, is creating an even worse experience for your paid business users.

I really hope Dropbox can come to its senses and remove this pop-up box entirely.

A few users I have noticed post about the same issue which has still not been resolved (I hope you all don't mind me tagging you to try to get more support on a single thread and hopefully get this box removed): @COLI @TAMINOPROD @Sterney @Johvial 

download2.JPGdownload1.JPG

Need more support?