cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Does the recipient of file need to pay a free to access and download files from Dropbox

Does the recipient of file need to pay a free to access and download files from Dropbox

tonyfr
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi, I am using Dropbox Plus, I have uploaded approx 20GB of photos and videos in dropbox and given access edit rights to a small number of people overseas. Can you please advise if the recipients of these files are able to open and copy these files into their PC free of charge ?  I had one receipient advise me that he is only able to access approx 3 or 4 GB and has been asked to pay a fee to access more. Is this normal practice or is he doing something wrong ? I thought the recipient does not need a Dropbox account and does not pay anything to access files.

Please advise. Regards tonyfr

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there ( @tonyfr) , I’d happily send you the relevant steps to help you get going with the file transfer if you’d like to avoid affecting the recipient’s quota. 

For starters, let me clarify that your Dropbox quota is calculated based on the total contents of your account, which includes shared folders. A Dropbox account can't sync more than its quota, so a 2 GB account can't sync more than 2 GB, including the space taken up by shared folders. Because every member of a shared folder can add and modify the files in the share, it takes up space in each member's account. (In other words, this is most likely the cause of the upgrade message they’re getting, as they can’t add the share to their account online if they don’t have the available space.)

As a creative workaround, you could share a link to the folder instead, that will not impact their account allowance & will let them view or download a one-way, read-only copy. In case they need to contribute in a project or in any way send you files in return, you could send them a File Request.  (Note: I’ve also created a walkthrough on how you could go about with that here. )

Hopefully this points you towards the right direction & please do let me know my advice works for you or in case you have additional questions about any of the above. Enjoy the rest of your day until we talk again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@tonyfr wrote:

Using a link with a one-way read only would work as long as it permits the recipient to download the complete folders 20GB in total to their PC and from their PC be able to then print photos and be able to share these files amongst other members of the family by copying to other PC's.

Yes, that's possible. Just be mindful of the traffic limits on your own account. With your Plus account, Share Links can only generate 200GB of traffic per day (a sliding 24-hour window). If you exceed this amount, all of your links will be temporarily suspended for 24-72 hours, with each progressive suspension lasting longer.

20GB of data is a lot, so if you have a lot of people trying to download it all at once, you could easily hit your traffic limits quickly.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there ( @tonyfr) , I’d happily send you the relevant steps to help you get going with the file transfer if you’d like to avoid affecting the recipient’s quota. 

For starters, let me clarify that your Dropbox quota is calculated based on the total contents of your account, which includes shared folders. A Dropbox account can't sync more than its quota, so a 2 GB account can't sync more than 2 GB, including the space taken up by shared folders. Because every member of a shared folder can add and modify the files in the share, it takes up space in each member's account. (In other words, this is most likely the cause of the upgrade message they’re getting, as they can’t add the share to their account online if they don’t have the available space.)

As a creative workaround, you could share a link to the folder instead, that will not impact their account allowance & will let them view or download a one-way, read-only copy. In case they need to contribute in a project or in any way send you files in return, you could send them a File Request.  (Note: I’ve also created a walkthrough on how you could go about with that here. )

Hopefully this points you towards the right direction & please do let me know my advice works for you or in case you have additional questions about any of the above. Enjoy the rest of your day until we talk again! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

tonyfr
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Jane,

Thanks for your reply, appears I did not have a full understanding of the quote system, since I have Dropbox Plus 1TB of storage I thought recipients could access this data without any restriction.  The files I am transferring are ony photos and videos taken on my holiday, sending to my relatives overseas, its not a project, not transferring back and forward. Using a link with a one-way read only would work as long as it permits the recipient to download the complete folders 20GB in total to their PC and from their PC be able to then print photos and be able to share these files amongst other members of

the family by copying to other PC's.

Please advise if this is achievable. Regards tonyfr 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@tonyfr wrote:

Using a link with a one-way read only would work as long as it permits the recipient to download the complete folders 20GB in total to their PC and from their PC be able to then print photos and be able to share these files amongst other members of the family by copying to other PC's.

Yes, that's possible. Just be mindful of the traffic limits on your own account. With your Plus account, Share Links can only generate 200GB of traffic per day (a sliding 24-hour window). If you exceed this amount, all of your links will be temporarily suspended for 24-72 hours, with each progressive suspension lasting longer.

20GB of data is a lot, so if you have a lot of people trying to download it all at once, you could easily hit your traffic limits quickly.

tonyfr
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Jane,

Thank you for your prompt reply, I am only sharing with 2 people, so should be OK

Regards tonyfr

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Amazing Tony (@tonyfr), happy to hear that this is a bit more clear now after @Rich's last comment!

Now that you know where you can find us, please don’t hesitate to get back in touch again in case you have more questions or you’d like to share your thoughts. Happy sharing ahead :link: & I hope you have a wonderful rest of your Thursday! :slight_smile:

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?