cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my Dropbox storage full when I haven't added any files?

Why is my Dropbox storage full when I haven't added any files?

LesleyHall
Explorer | Level 4

I have received messages from DropBox saying I am out of storage space so have logged into my account and sure enough shows I am out of storage space.  I would like to know what has used up all the storage space because all I have stored is old photos.  The last time I checked my Dropbox account there was plenty of space.  Nothing I know about should have been added to the account.  Has anyone come across this before?  Or is it a ploy from DropBox to get me to upgrade the account?  Could anyone point me in the right direction to finding out what is filling up the storage space?

5 Replies 5

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @LesleyHall, welcome to our Community!

Can you check the plan tab in your account settings, and let me know what it reports there? Do you have any shared content taking up space in your account? 

Or perhaps you have any active Backups enabled. Can you check that as well? 

Let me know what you find!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

LesleyHall
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Megan

This may sound stupid but I can't see a plan tab.  There are no files in backup.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @LesleyHall, do you get any specific errors when trying to visit this page: https://www.dropbox.com/account/plan ?

What if you try to click on your avatar, on the top right part of your home screen, then check for the Plan tab there? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

LesleyHall
Explorer | Level 4

When I try to access https://www.dropbox.com/account/plan it defaults to https://www.dropbox.com/manage/subscriptions/dropbox-single-seat

There is no plan tab.  I have combed through the settings, manage account, automations, install dropbox app and it's not in any of them.

It seems the only way to do anything with dropbox is to upgrade!  I think I will be deleting it instead!  This is the most frustrating app.  And no, I won't be recommending it to anyone!  I've spent far too much time and effort trying to sort this out. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @LesleyHall, that's indeed odd.

Have you tried using a different browser, by any chance? In any case, and if you decided not to delete your account, I'd be happy to help on my end for you.

You can also check your sharing tab, for any shared content that might be using your hard drive space. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    LesleyHall Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?