cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My new (basic) account doesn't work right?

Can't add shared folder even with sufficient space

brentonw
New member | Level 2

I was invited to a shared folder that I'm trying to view and edit. When I try to open this folder or add it to my Dropbox, I am sent to the "out of space" page and prompted to upgrade. I am not out of storage space—I have 24.88gb of free storage, and I am only using 10.66gb of storage. The shared folder is not 14gb large. 

Any suggestions on how to fix?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

supernaut
New member | Level 2

Ok, issue got solved by two means:

a) the package to be received was indeed more than 2GB, which I didn't expect because they were "only" some audio files

b) I remembered having an old account (d'uh...) which I use now instead

Oh and I did seem to hijack another topic? Sorry about that, new to this board, thought I've started a new one...

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Mark
Super User II

If it isnt letting you accept the share is bigger than your available space. As you arent told how big the share is when trying to join you have no way of knowing the size of it - note any size message within the error is how much more space you need on top of what you already have, not, what the size of the folder is. 

The other thing to add is check if you have enabled Backup which can use quota up and be 'hidden': www.dropbox.com/backups

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

slash71
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I'm receiving an out of storage message when using an email link that someone sent for me to access a file. On my account page, including shared files, I'm only using 481.3 mb. Most of the solutions I've seen on various threads involved shared files. Are there other solutions to this issue? I deleted my personal files down to 0 and the shared files only take 481.3 mb and backups is not even turned on. Is there another way to access the file that was sent to me other than the email invite (which I guessing is where the bug is)?

Thanks for any insight.

Mark
Super User II

It isnt a bug.

It means the shared file is larger than the available space you have in your account (i.e. about 1.5gb). 

Therefore you need to get more space, or, get the shared folder reduced in size OR if you need readonly access ask for a shared link instead. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

supernaut
New member | Level 2

I just made an account. Basic. To download audio files a friend sent me. The email link message says ["userX" invited you to edit the folder "soandso" on Dropbox].

i don't see any files to download or edit in my dashboard when I click on the link in the email. But a message from dropbox saying that I'm out of storage space. While it also says I have ZERO of 2 GB used. So I should have 2GB free space. Also, the audiofiles being sent to me can't be higher than 2GB. I can't check that, because it doesn't say anywhere, but 2GB should be more than enough free space.

So... what's going on?

(dropbox help AI chat didn't understand the issue but I did get a support ticket, but until then...)

Mark
Super User II

If you get that error it means the file is larger than 2gb. So the share is OVER 2gb. 

When you get the error it should say something like 'you need Xgb of space' which is how much more you need. 

If you just need read only access ask the person to send you a shared link instead. 

supernaut
New member | Level 2

Thanks for the info. I'm struggling a bit with the backup enabling (I can't choose what folder/files I want to backup, the suggested options to choose folders from leave me confused, and I can't point dropbox towards my chosen folder...). For now I try to contact the friend about the file size.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @supernaut, if you need help enabling backup, please send us a screenshot of the options you see along with which folders you are trying to choose, but can't, so we can have a look too.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

supernaut
New member | Level 2

4.jpg1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

This is the navigation I'm offered. I still don't understand why I have to backup anything to get the files my friend sent me. Doing the backup also eats up my storage space. I think I'm doing stuff now that's beyond the issue at hand.

I used dropbox a lot years ago on a different account and it seemed to be so easy... 😅

supernaut
New member | Level 2

This is all info I get when I click the email link "friend invited you to edit the folder xyz". No info about how much more space I'd need. I haven't heard back from him yet but I can't really imagine it's more than 2GB.dropbox.jpg

Need more support?