cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I choose which files to sync when using my Android?

Can I choose which files to sync when using my Android?

YogeshM
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi
All my Dropbox cloud files are synching ony Android phone, eating away phone memory. Is there any way to sync only selected folders to phone?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@YogeshM wrote:
I simply wanted that some files be visible only on cloud and not on phone.

If it's in your account in the cloud, it will be visible on the phone. That doesn't mean the files are stored on your device; they're just visible. Only those you open or mark as available offline will be downloaded and stored on the phone.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

If you are using the official Dropbox app (i.e. from www.dropbox.com/downloading) it doesn't sync mobile devices - its one of the most common complaints here. It simply allows you to view what you put on and manually upload things yourself. 

Have you checked its an official app, or, that its not just the cache filling due to you using media etc. or not

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

YogeshM
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Its official app, it syncs everything on the cloud to the device.. I want some specific folders to be only on cloud, and not sync with my android phone.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@YogeshM wrote:
Its official app, it syncs everything on the cloud to the device..

The Dropbox app doesn't do that on mobile devices. It's simply not capable of it. The mobile app allows you to view the content in your account, but it doesn't sync like the desktop applications do. The only files stored locally on a mobile device are those you open/view (which are stored temporarily) and those you mark as Available Offline.

YogeshM
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Ok, thanks. I simply wanted that some files be visible only on cloud and not on phone.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@YogeshM wrote:
I simply wanted that some files be visible only on cloud and not on phone.

If it's in your account in the cloud, it will be visible on the phone. That doesn't mean the files are stored on your device; they're just visible. Only those you open or mark as available offline will be downloaded and stored on the phone.

YogeshM
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Thanks a lot.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

YogeshM Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?