cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locked out of old account and stuck in new empty account

Locked out of old account and stuck in new empty account

susanbslp
New member | Level 2

I forgot the password to my Dropbox account. In trying to reset the password, Dropbox created an entirely new account with the same email addy but different password. Now I can only get into that new account (empty) and cannot access my old account with ALL my files.

Dropbox won't let me talk to anyone because the new account is a free one. I've been paying for Dropbox for YEARS and now can't even get into it.

Please help!!

TIA

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II

@susanbslp wrote:

Dropbox created an entirely new account with the same email addy but different password.

It's not possible to have two different accounts with the same email address. If you were able to create a new account with an email address, that email address isn't linked to any other account. If it was, you would have received a message stating that the email was already in use.

cannot access my old account with ALL my files.

When was the last time you accessed the account? If the account was idle for more than a year, it would have been deleted due to inactivity unless it was a paid account with an active subscription.

I've been paying for Dropbox for YEARS and now can't even get into it.

Are you still paying for it? If so, use the credit card charge lookup tool to identify the account that you're paying for. Once you find the account, you should be able to sign in to it. Reset the password if necessary.

susanbslp
New member | Level 2

Thanks. I thought it was strange it opened a new account with the same email address, but I've looked back through that addy folders and all my emails from dropbox are in there. I'll take a look at credit card access.  I've been using the account on a regular basis; last time was just a couple of weeks ago.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

susanbslp New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?