cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox acquires boxcryptor

Dropbox acquires Boxcryptor. What will happen to all those files that have been encrypted?

riccardo1981
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi

As most will know, dropbox has purchased boxcryptor.
At this point my question is, what will happen to all those files that have been encrypted with boxcryptor ? Should they all be decrypted and wait for communication on how the transaction will be handled by Dropbox ?
Boxcryptor was used to encrypt files using other cloud services, will this change ?

Thank you very much
Riccardo

148 Replies 148

c_my_name_is
Explorer | Level 4

fun fact: till yet E2EE not available on mobile apps ( so even with a business plan, no chance so access your e2ee files with e.g. iOS ) 🙂

btw. sync.com doesn't use e2ee wording anymore on the website - it must be gone... or never was e2e

Martin R.19
Collaborator | Level 10

It still says "End-to-end encryption" for all plans at Sync.com. But I wonder if they and pCloud meanwhile implemented Apples requirements for cloud services (CloudStorage folder). For me it's still OneDrive (for unencrypted content) and Filen.io for E2EE for more than a year now... 

JMLobert
Helpful | Level 5
Hello,
To improve file security (except for those files that are shared), it would be good if Dropbox adopted zero-knowledge file encryption. It's an industry standard and many of your competitors use it. Dropbox is behind the curve on that.
Thank you for considering this improvement
JML

Martin R.19
Collaborator | Level 10

This latest incident confirms the importance of E2EE in all plans. Next time it'll probably be the cloud. And as we saw with the Microsoft incident, how can you be sure that the cloud has not already been compromised for months... https://www.heise.de/news/Digitale-Signatur-Datenleak-bei-Dropbox-Sign-9705355.html

c_my_name_is
Explorer | Level 4

Ok, but who got access to the (private) keys? Are they stored on sync.com servers? Than it's E2EE yes, but not zero-knowledge wich is pointless.

I've tested filen in its early days - unfortunately they use still electron for the macOS client - sorry. Don't like it. 

Martin R.19
Collaborator | Level 10
Of course, zero-knowledge is a must, and private keys should only reside on your device. You will have to check this for your preferred service.

Please let me know what's wrong with Electron. Thanks.

whausername
Helpful | Level 5

I went ahead and moved everything to Tresorit. Seems to do what I need (full sync / selective sync of various folders with E2EE and encrypted file sharing). Will keep Dropbox running for a month or two as a temporary backup, then I'm finished here.

Boxcryptor was such a fantastic product. All good things, I guess. Adios!

Darkness93
New member | Level 2

Cheers I came here for a recommendation of a Boxcryptor alternative, because I guess they're not offering encryption to Dropbox free users instead. Guess they didn't realise encryption is important for personal use not just for business..

I'll look at encrypting my stuff on Tresorit if you'd recommend, sounds a lot like what Boxcryptor did. Is it able to link to Dropbox also to encrypt files in-place? I still use Dropbox Free for family folder access and other nostalgic files that don't really need encryption, just handy

SMRose_FL
Explorer | Level 3

am using Crytomator and I am very happy with it. A bit more involved but really good.

Combined with Mountain Duck, which mounts Cloud drives with a drive letter and Files 3.5, which shows these, I have everything I need.

Still wish Boxcryptor was available, but I have fond an answer that works for me.

Need more support?