cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is VAT charged on foreign country invoices

Why is VAT charged on foreign country invoices

Enid Pretorius
Explorer | Level 4

I am in South Africa but got charged VAT in USA dollars.

Either you need to provide prices including VAT or stipulate that your prices are excluding VAT.  I do think this is unprofessional and underhanded.

13 Replies 13

Dominique B.3
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Jay

I did correspond with my tax practitioner and without being able to add my VAT nr on to the invoice I am unable to claim that 15% Dropbox add to my invoice for "VAT".

I am really unclear how to add my VAT nr. If it is not possible to add it on the current plan which plan can I use. My business has two employees and we are both on the Dropbox Plus plans. Can you advise me with the two employees what would be the best plan for us where the plan would allow me to add my VAT nr.  

Currently is does look like the plan I am on is still the most cost effective but I am really perplexed how there is VAT on this invoice without allowing me to add my VAT nr

Kind Regards

Dominique

Jay
Dropbox Staff

It looks like you repeated your previous message. My reply would remain the same, the to add your VAT ID directly to your account, you'd need a Dropbox Professional or Dropbox Business plan.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Dominique B.3
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Jay

I did look at the other plans and I do not want to change as the current plan I am on is most cost effective for me and my business partner. The issue remains that you charge VAT on a invoice. I would like your South African VAT nr to be reflected on the invoice you share with me otherwise charging me VAT seems unethical.

As Enid is saying:

The USA does not charge VAT but yet you charge VAT to foreign countries - Are you registered as a VAT vendor in that country?

If so I would like your VAT number so that I can claim the VAT back here in my country

Jay
Dropbox Staff

At the moment, with Plus plans the only option would be to add it to your VAT ID to your invoices with these steps and then try to reclaim via your tax authorities.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Dominique B.3 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?