cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Cannot open Excel files with the Excel app through Dropbox on iPhone

Cannot open Excel files with the Excel app through Dropbox on iPhone

Mr Groovyblues
Helpful | Level 6

I use the Dropbox app on my iphone. I used to be able to open excel files in excel by using “open with - excel”. But now it sends me to a screen saying Microsoft Integration wants permission. I hit the Allow button (the only other option available is “learn more”) and it just takes me back to the list of files in Dropbox. I can never get past that. I used to be able to open them from the Excel app as well, but not now. What has changed and what can I do?

30 Replies 30

alexjb1
New member | Level 2

I have been encountering the same issue (or a very similar one) for this past week!  For years I was able to seamlessly open and save Dropbox files in Excel on my iPhone, but now when I try to open an Excel file on my phone it takes me to a page saying "Microsoft Office Integration would like access to the files and folders in your Dropbox."  When I choose the account I want to link, it briefly takes me to another page saying "Log in with Dropbox" but before I can enter any information it goes back to Excel, not having granted access.  Frustrating!

I tried deleting the Excel app and reinstalling, but it didn't make any difference.  Based on your experience I'm reluctant to delete the Dropbox app since it probably won't work, and I'd presumably have to redownload a lot of my offline-accessible files which sounds like a pain.

Mr Groovyblues
Helpful | Level 6
I have now made some progress. I reset the Excel app. I then tried to open an excel file from one of my two dropboxes (a hotmail email account dropbox) and after asking me to sign to excel (using a hotmail email) it has worked fine!!!!
I then logged out of that dropbox and logged into my other one (a BT internet email) and clicked through an Excel file and it wouldn’t work.
So my thoughts are now A) whether it now won’t work if more than one dropbox linked to an Excel app, or B) whether I have different settings between the two dropbox accounts.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

@Mr Groovyblues, after logging in to your Dropbox account with your BT email address again, did you also link your Excel app to the same email? 

When checking your Storage Account on the Excel app, how many Dropbox accounts do you see linked?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

edventure8122
New member | Level 2

@Mr Groovyblues I don't know if it will help any, but:

I've had glitchiness when I try opening Excel files from inside the Dropbox app. When I use the Excel app and navigate to Dropbox to open, I never have problems.

Just my two cents 🙂

Mr Groovyblues
Helpful | Level 6
Hi. At present I only have my Hotmail Dropbox linked to my Excel app. This way I can open my Excel sheets in that dropbox. As soon as I add the BT dropbox to the Excel app it all goes wrong.

Mr Groovyblues
Helpful | Level 6
All 2 cents add up to the dollar!!
Thanks for the input. There is clearly something not quite the same as before.

Mr Groovyblues
Helpful | Level 6
I tried having both my dropboxes as storage locations in my Excel app. That prevented any files in both dropboxes opening in Excel whether trying via Excel App or Dropbox app.
A question - my Excel account is in my Hotmail name and the only Dropbox that works with the Excel app is my Hotmail address Dropbox. Could it be that the Dropbox and Excel account have to have the same email address?

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

@Mr Groovyblues, when linking your BT Dropbox account to Excel, are you doing this while the Hotmail account is still connected? 

Are you having issues even when the BT account is the only one linked to Excel?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Mr Groovyblues
Helpful | Level 6
Hi. I’ve tried both ways and yes I do have the same issues when only connecting the BT mail Dropbox app to the Excel app.

All of this works fine off a desktop or laptop, but not on my phone.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Mr Groovyblues!

I just checked with our team, and it seems there is an ongoing issue that we're aware of and tracking at the moment. 

I'll make sure to update this thread once the issue has been resolved. Thanks!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?