cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Dropbox Replay

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archiving Videos from Replay to DropBox doesn't work

Archiving Videos from Replay to DropBox doesn't work

Ara Bozadjian
Explorer | Level 4

Hopefully this is the right place to post this, assuming Canny is for new ideas.

I am struggling to use the Archive to DropBox feature.

1. When I click the '...' on the thumbnail of the video and click 'Archive to DropBox', then select the folder, it just hangs on 'Archiving project files to Dropbox...'

Screenshot 2024-09-24 at 15.08.05.png

2. Following these instructions: https://help.dropbox.com/delete-restore/dropbox-replay-archive

5. Click the box that appears in the upper left.
6. Click Archive to Dropbox at the top of your Workspace page.

I don't see the Archive to DropBox option as expected.

Screenshot 2024-09-24 at 14.53.01.png

My user has a paid Replay Add-on. I have cleared my cookies and cache.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

dylanonelson_dbx
Dropbox Staff

Hey Ara, thanks for sharing this with us. It sounds like you have two separate issues here. One is that when you initiate the Archive to Dropbox feature, it doesn't go through, and the other is that when you multiselect some files, you do not see the option to archive them at all.

For the first issue, could you please contact replay-feedback@dropbox.com with your Dropbox email address so that we can try to debug the specific issues you're seeing? You can mention me in the support request. It would be helpful if you would try archiving multiple files and see if it only fails some of the time or all of the time.

We've been able to reproduce the second issue and we will try to fix it soon. If you open a thread with support we can follow up there and make sure we've resolved your issue.

Sorry that you've run into this and I hope we can get it fixed for you soon. Thanks!

dylanonelson_dbx
Dropbox Staff

I wanted to add that while it may not be ideal, one workaround while we try to address these issues would be to download the files into your local Dropbox folder, where they would automatically be synced into the Dropbox location you chose. You should be able to multiselect files to download, or download an entire Replay folder. 

Ara Bozadjian
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Dylan, I believe both issues are connected. I've sent this and the below to the feedback email. Basically, any files that display the 'Archive to DropBox' option when selected seem to upload to DB fine.

1. I tried to 'box select' every video in every Project Folder I have on Replay
- Only 5 of approx 80 files (all Video) displayed the Archive to DropBox option above.
- All 5 of those were the only File/Video in their respected Folder; main Project Folder or Sub Folder.
- Selecting multiple or single Videos made no difference.

2. When I tried  the '... select' method on 2 different Videos, they both upload perfectly to DropBox.

dylanonelson_dbx
Dropbox Staff

Hi Ara,

I looked into this a bit more and I think I figured out why you're seeing what you are. Unfortunately there is a limitation right now to the archiving feature that only the user who originally uploaded the asset (in other words, who uploaded the first version of the asset) is able to archive the file directly to Dropbox. That is why only a subset of your files display the archive option, and why the option to archive sometimes disappears when you select multiple files—the bulk actions menu only displays actions that are available for every selected item.

I believe that in the case where the archiving action hung for you, you had gotten the UI into a state where you were seeing the option to archive even though you did not have access to do so. Thus the silent failure.

We are looking at ways of making this clearer in the UI in the short term and, in the long term, fixing the issue altogether so that you can archive any file that you have proper access to in Replay.

Please let us know if this description of the issue matches with what you are seeing. Sorry again about this issue—as I said, this is a limitation on our side that we are working towards fixing, but probably not in the short term.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

dylanonelson_dbx Dropbox Staff
    Ara Bozadjian Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?