cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: DbxClientV2

DbxClientV2

jasmine_r
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi, I tried listing folders from my dropbox by creating a client with the access token for my account. I was able to create more than 1 client and list folders and files. It worked fine. How many number of clients can be created at a maximum for an account. Is DbxClientV2 API similar to a socket connection ? Does the client connection has any expiration ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
The DbxClientV2 objects you create are just local client objects to make it easier to call the Dropbox API, but don't themselves create connections immediately upon construction. The API calls are only made when you call one of the methods, e.g., listFolder.

That being the case, the API/SDK doesn't enforce a limit on how many of these you create, but you generally won't need more than one per-user. The client objects themselves don't expire, but the access tokens used to access the API can be revoked at any time.

Also, note that the Dropbox API does have a rate limiting system, but it is based on the rate of calls made per user.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
The DbxClientV2 objects you create are just local client objects to make it easier to call the Dropbox API, but don't themselves create connections immediately upon construction. The API calls are only made when you call one of the methods, e.g., listFolder.

That being the case, the API/SDK doesn't enforce a limit on how many of these you create, but you generally won't need more than one per-user. The client objects themselves don't expire, but the access tokens used to access the API can be revoked at any time.

Also, note that the Dropbox API does have a rate limiting system, but it is based on the rate of calls made per user.
Need more support?