cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Account Limit Reached for Dropbox" error, when trying to open an Excel file on my phone

"Account Limit Reached for Dropbox" error, when trying to open an Excel file on my phone

Redhotpaddy
Explorer | Level 3

Hi I am trying to open an excel spread sheet on my phone using Office 365 and the file is stored on Dropbox but it won't let me open it as I keep getting the error Account Limit Reached for Dropbox. I have one my phone signed into Dropbox and I only noticed this today.

23 Replies 23

Rich
Super User II

@Redhotpaddy wrote:
... I keep getting the error Account Limit Reached for Dropbox.

Can you provide a screenshot of the error message?

Redhotpaddy
Explorer | Level 3
I would be I can't seem to find the attachment option for a screenshot

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Redhotpaddy! You should be seeing the button below, before posting your reply on the forum:

cameraicon.png

If you’re using a mobile device to access the forum, the option may not be available. If it isn’t, can you give this a go from a computer instead?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Redhotpaddy
Explorer | Level 3

Screenshot_20240531-151110_Excel.jpg

This is what comes up on my phone when I try and click on the file I have saved to my home screen. Previously it would bring directly to the file but now it gives this message. I have no other devices attached to this dropbox account, I've cleared the cache. I'm just not sure how I can fix it. It is an Excel file I am trying to open from my home screen. When I go into it by opening dropbox I can access the file but I can't alter it.

Mark
Super User II

You need to remove a device from your account as it says. It is very likely your phone is now linked twice. 

You do that via https://www.dropbox.com/account/security under devices. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Rich
Super User II

@Redhotpaddy wrote:

This is what comes up on my phone when I try and click on the file I have saved to my home screen.

That's not the typical "too many devices" message, and it seems to imply that you're signed in to a different Dropbox account on the device or within Excel, compared to the account that you're using to open the file.

I would try to find every location on the device where you've signed in or linked to your Dropbox account and sign out, they try again, signing back in to the correct account. Possibly something within Excel.

Redhotpaddy
Explorer | Level 3

Cheers, yea but it was working fine up to a few days ago. It's strange. Not Dropbox stopped working with Excel?

Mark
Super User II

@Redhotpaddy wrote:

Cheers, yea but it was working fine up to a few days ago. It's strange. Not Dropbox stopped working with Excel?

No, Dropbox does still work with Excel. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Redhotpaddy
Explorer | Level 3
Ok I really don't know what is going on all I can do is view my files on Dropbox and can't alter them.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Redhotpaddy Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?