cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange actions regarding deleted files.

Strange actions regarding deleted files.

martinlk
New member | Level 2

Recently I noticed an important file was missing from my dropbox account.

I checked more closely and I saw that over 40,000 files had beeen deleted. Fortunately I didn't lose anything because I could recover them from the Deleted Items folder.

As for security: I signed out from all devices except for my primary computer. But that's not really my primary question. 

My question is: I cannot figure out HOW or WHAT deleted thes files. How can I see precisely what/who/how the files were deleted? It is unnerving. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II

@martinlk wrote:

How can I see precisely what/who/how the files were deleted? It is unnerving.

Check your Events page, and check the version history for one of the recovered files.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II

@martinlk wrote:

How can I see precisely what/who/how the files were deleted? It is unnerving.

Check your Events page, and check the version history for one of the recovered files.

martinlk
New member | Level 2

Well this is certainly the problem. I think I found out how this happened, It wasn't nefarious but a little strange consequence: I logged into an old computer that I hadn't used in a long time, where I had previously deleted the Dropbox folder contents from a different user profile... I guess it happily treated that as me wanting to delete 47,000 files!

Anyway, thanks for the help. I couldn't find a link to any sort of history or log file (or events), so this was helpful.

martinlk_0-1709146338524.png

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

martinlk New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?