cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid MS-DOS function --Unable to copy ".gsheet" file from google drive offline folder into drobox

Invalid MS-DOS function --Unable to copy ".gsheet" file from google drive offline folder into drobox

Emanuel O.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I got google drive installed normally as drive G:

One of the folders in google drive is set to be offline (instead of streaming/online only).

Then I got Dropbox installed as will in F:\Dropbox

When I trie to copy one of my google sheet files:

G:\My Drive\test.gsheet

into

F:\Dropbox

I receive the following error:

EmanuelO_0-1668868373307.png

Whats this sorcery ??

Please don't tell me I cant copy those google drive web files.. because in practice that would mean I cant move out of google drive into dropbox for example, unless I would loose weeks converting all my google doc, sheets and slides into office format or some other thing ?

Thanks for help in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Emanuel O., you can use Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides created on dropbox.com, however you can't move them to your Dropbox account from Google. 

You can find out more about this here.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Emanuel O., let's jump right into this! 

This doesn't seem like a Dropbox related error, I have to admit. I did some re-search on my end on Google, and it seems this usually happens when you're trying to copy content from one drive, to another one with a different format.

Or when the file is corrupted. If you try to preview the content on their initial path, are you able to do so? Also, are both of these drives the same format?

Keep me posted!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Emanuel O.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Let me be clear, this is direct question about about compatibility between Google Drive own formats and Dropbox, and not do much a generic abswer like yours "maybe its corrupted, maybe that, maybe something else".. no im asking a direct question a dropbox product manager or tech team can share a yes or bo, plain simple.

FYI: I been uding google drive as main drive, but just discovered it causes problems for me as developer to compile c++ when source is in google drive, but then found out Dropbox doesn't have the problem, so I was thinking moving all my development files from google drive to Dropbox, but early in the copy i received error i shared in post and it only happens with any of the 3 google drive files format:
*.gsheet
*.gdoc
*.gslide

Thanks

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Emanuel O., you can use Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides created on dropbox.com, however you can't move them to your Dropbox account from Google. 

You can find out more about this here.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Emanuel O.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Megan,

If i can't copy from my local google drive a .gsheet, .gdoc or .gslide into my local dropbox folder then how can I create google docs, google sheet or google slides in Dropbox ?

Thanks,

Emanuel

Emanuel O.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Megan, I found the option in dropbox web to create new any type of "office like" documents in either Microsoft website or Google Drive website, this is amazing.. I wasn't aware of this.

But will document still be created and saved in Microsoft or Google cloud and only a shortcut stored in dropbox is it how it works ? or will document fully stays in dropbox side and only when to view or edit you use either Microsoft or google drive just as interface as all the saving it done only in dropbox, so yo just use microsoft/google drive web UI as just online editors ?

Emanuel O.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

So I found answers once again in the link you shared:

https://help.dropbox.com/integrations/create-google-docs

So we can create, view or edit (from dropbox web UI) either with Microsoft or Google Drive web UIs, but storage is kept in Dropbox.. this is great, so if all gets stored in dropbox that means we only using either Microsoft or google as "editors" I guess ?

So only one last question remains, since I got dozens of .gsheets and .gdocs in my google drive whats best way for me to have them stored in Dropbox then ?

Im thinking only way is to download them as .xlsx or .docx ? That means there's no way to have them in dropbox as .gsheet or .gdoc as only way to have .gsheet or .gdoc in dropbox is by creating them in dropbox UI is this correct ?

Thanks

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Emanuel O., sorry to jump in here.

I just wanted to mention that in your case, you can either download (or export) a copy of your file as a file type that can be added to Dropbox (like .docx), and then upload it to Dropbox (but it won’t be a web-based file anymore), or create a new web-based file in Dropbox, and then copy and paste the contents over to it from the web-based version of the original file.

I hope this helps a tad and please let us know if you have any other questions. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Emanuel O. Explorer | Level 4
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?