cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Impossible to restore backup

I used a USB device, reformatted it and now I can't restore my content.

rmackay
Explorer | Level 3

I have been backing up a USB drive to dropbox for over a year, in total 96GB of music files.

I naturally assumed that since this was a 'backup' it provided the ability to restore the device should anything go wrong.

Now that I had a problem with the USB device and needed to reformat it, I find I am unable to restore the data.

There is no 'restore' function in Dropbox desktop app. I can't download the files because I get an error "Attempted to zip too many files". And I can't move the files from the Backup area to the main Dropbox in order to sync with desktop.

What's the point of making a backup if I can't restore the files to the device, without manually downloading tens of thousands of files one by one? 

It seems like 'backup' just means a worse version of normal dropbox functionality.

Is there any solution to this?

RM

7 Replies 7

Mark
Super User II

You dont manage Backups via the app. It is all done online

Have you looked at https://help.dropbox.com/organize/restore-dropbox-backup-files ?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

rmackay
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your reply. The problem is, the USB was corrupted and I reformatted it, and now when I plug it in dropbox does not recognise it as the same drive. As far as I can see, there is no option to restore the files from the old backup to the drive. There is only an option to 'download' files, and since there are so many, this is an extremely laborious process. And it is not even possible to download some of these folders because dropbox says there are 'too many files' or the download times out ("something went wrong").

To reiterate, the problem is exactly the one described here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/19egcxa/dropbox_backup_feature_doesnt_even_try_to_be_a/?r...

"

The Dropbox client has no "Restore" feature, unless it's the same computer & installation that you did the backup from.

The only way you can "access" (well, not really) the backup from another computer ist to download the whole thing via a webbrowser. Just that this doesn't work either, because that feature would provide the whole backup in one huge ZIP-File... but then fails doing so, because the backup is of course much too big to be provided via a ZIP-Download in the browser.

Dropbox has created a "Backup" that is unrestoreable by design. A backup that uploads data but provides no way to download it again. That is a whole new level of uselessness."

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @rmackay, sorry to hear about that! 

If the external drive is recognized as a new one, then the only option would be indeed to download the content locally, using the website. 

If you wish, you can try downloading smaller bunches in order to avoid getting an error if there are too many files and folders there. 

I hope this clarifies!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

rmackay
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Megan

Thanks for your response. I don't mean to be rude but this really does not help, and I think the issues I have highlighted have been experienced by other users too.

This feature has been sold as a 'backup'. What are backups for, if not for this kind of situation i.e. where you need to recover backed up data?

I appreciate your suggestion but it is not a practical solution. Unless perhaps someone from the Dropbox staff would like to spend their day sitting at a computer downloading an 80GB folder of  MP3 files in batches of 10 at a time? 

It seems to me that this service has been badly thought out and mis-sold, and does not do what it appears to promise.

My final desperate request: Is there some way you can transfer the backup files into my main dropbox so that I can desktop sync them, please? 

thanks

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @rmackay, thanks for your feedback here.

I'm afraid there's no way to move the backup files from your backups to your normal Dropbox at the moment.

We do appreciate your feedback though, and I wanted to let you know that I've passed your comments along to the appropriate team.

If you have any other questions, let us know.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

rmackay
Explorer | Level 3

No, surely you can see this is not good enough. You have offered a backup service, I've paid for it, and now I can't get my files. 

It's total nonsense that "there is no way" to move the files. Can you get someone from the support team to contact me?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

I understand where you're coming from, @rmackay, and rest assured that your feedback has already been noted. 

That said, since there's no way to reverse the external drive backup process at the moment, downloading the files in batches, as suggested by Megan, albeit admittedly inconvenient, would be the way to go in this case.

Keep in mind that if there was a different way, we would have already mentioned it. 

Also, if you'd like to get in touch with support directly, you can review your support options here

Other than that, thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?