cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I got an update that there was a new comment, but when I open the file there's nothing there.

I got a notification about a new comment, but when I open the file in Word, the comment isn't there.

eleacarey
New member | Level 2

My colleague commented on text documents and I got notifications. I open the document in the uneditable version and I can see the comment. I open in Word for Web and it says there are no comments. I open in Dropbox and it says there are no comments. 

Comment notification in Gmail.png

 

Uneditable but shows comment.png

 

Open in Word for Web with no comments.png

 

Open in Dropbox with no comments.png

 

4 Replies 4

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @eleacarey, welcome to our Community! 

Keep in mind that it's expected not to see these comments when viewing your file through Word, since they only apply to Dropbox.

Also, would you mind switching browsers just to check if this is a browser-related issue, or using an incognito mode, and then trying again?

When did this start happening, and does this happen with all of your commented files too?

Thanks so much for gathering more info!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

eleacarey
New member | Level 2

Hey, Megan, thanks for the reply. I'll switch browsers just now and tell you what happens. For the record, the comments do not show up in the opened Dropbox version of the doc either. Ok, just tried Safari with a fresh sign in but have the same issue -- when I open the preview/uneditable version, I can see there are comments (but I can't see where they are on the page, it just says "page 2" or "page 4" but there are no comments in the doc), but when I open the doc in Word (which is the only option on Safari, there is no "Open in Dropbox" option), it says there are no comments. I have never had this problem before.  

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @eleacarey, thanks for the swift reply! 

Is it possible that you're running any plugins or extensions that could be causing issue with loading the visual elements of the page properly? 

Have you both made sure there aren’t pending updates to be installed on your browser? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

eleacarey
New member | Level 2

No, it's nothing like that. Dropbox just isn't as good for co-editing as Google Docs. I found a workaround but I won't use Dropbox again for a project like this. 

Need more support?