cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I tell Dropbox where my Documents folder is (NOT in OneDrive)

LarryN46
New member | Level 2

I have a new Windows 11 PC and probably made the mistake of not turning off OneDrive before I installed Dropbox and now there seemingly is nothing I can do to convince Dropbox to use *my* Documents folder instead of the one in OneDrive. I have unlinked, etc. and even uninstalled OneDrive but I can't find a way to tell Dropbox not to use the OneDrive cloud folder (which I can't delete for other reasons). I just want to use Dropbox Backup and have it use the correct Documents folder. Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II

@LarryN46 wrote:

The Backup feature in Dropbox can only back up your Documents folder if it's in the original location. By default, this would be in your user folder. If, during your short time with OneDrive, the Documents folder was moved to a different location, such as within the OneDrive folder, you'll need to move it back before Backup can access it.

Right-click on your Documents folder and select Properties, then click the Location tab. Make sure the location is set to the default.

d6da5c17d5dbf8152e442ef5feb77d84.png

If you don't have a Location tab, you're not on your real Documents folder. Check the one in your OneDrive folder if it's still there. You'll either need to restore the default location or tell OneDrive to move it back to where it was.

LarryN46
New member | Level 2

When I do that I get one of two errors. Either it tells me there is already a folder there with the same name and it can't be done. Or, if I try to rename it, it says it can't because it's open in another application. Even after a reboot, these errors still happen. Did I mention I hate OneDrive? 

Rich
Super User II

@LarryN46 wrote:

When I do that I get one of two errors. Either it tells me there is already a folder there with the same name and it can't be done. Or, if I try to rename it, it says it can't because it's open in another application. Even after a reboot, these errors still happen. Did I mention I hate OneDrive? 

Do you have two Documents folders? One in the default location of C:\Users\[yourname]\Documents and one under OneDrive? If so, which one has the Location tab? Delete the other one if you can, then try restoring the default location again.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    LarryN46 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?