cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Error (504) when trying to restore a file

Error (504) when trying to restore a file

Nick K.19
Explorer | Level 4

NickK19_0-1707167740424.png

I have tried different browsers and incognito mode. Any other suggestions?

I can navigate the rest of Dropbox's site just fine, this only happens when I try to restore a file to a previous version.

24 Replies 24

VietNgo
Explorer | Level 4

I also think that it is not a client-side issue because except this restoring files issue, other functions still working trouble-free for me.

This sounds like a Gateway Time out error that another user reported April last year (https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Delete-edit-and-organize/504-Gateway-timeout-when-restoring-file/td-...)

I

MaximilienLC
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, I'm getting a similar issue where I am unable to restore any file. On the website I press restore, it stalls and then closes. The file doesn't come back to my files but instead when I press refresh it it once again in the deleted files. I tried using incognito and even asked another Dropbox user to perform the same operation which led to the same outcome as mine.

MaximilienLC
Explorer | Level 3
Tried incognito, even asked a fellow Dropbox user to attempt restoring files from the webpage but they weren't able to. We press restore, it stalls then the restoring loading bar disappears. The file doesn't get restored and refreshing the deleted files page brings back the deleted files. Any possible issue with the servers?

iwriteforme
Helpful | Level 5

I just received a slew of copies of the file I was trying to restore to in a flood of activity in my Dropbox. Looks like it was definitely on Dropbox's side and they managed to fix it. Will they acknowledge it and say that it was an issue on their side and they fixed it? Who knows. But try again on your system, see whether you have the restored file now.

VietNgo
Explorer | Level 4

It works again for me now.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Glad to hear that, @VietNgo! Is anyone else still having trouble with this, or has the issue been resolved for all?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Nick K.19
Explorer | Level 4

It seems to have resolved for me too (I woke up today to also find a flood of files, from all my attempts to restore files yesterday...), I restored a few files to a previous history point and it seems to have worked fine.

Di12
Explorer | Level 3

Having this issue today. Restarted, tried different browsers, etc. It's on your end not mine so don't suggest I go through basic troubleshooting which I've already done.

Also looks like this is an issue your company has periodically. This is CORE functionality so how is this possible?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @Di12 - sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Could you clarify if you'e getting this error when restoring from the deleted files page or the events page or both?

If possible, can you send us a full page screenshot of the exact error you're getting? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Di12
Explorer | Level 3

Restoring a previous version from the versions history page. Have tried on several computers, and even had someone with access to the folder from a different account try. So it is 100% not client side.

We can create new files and then restore correctly, but this is a file that has been versioned many times over a long time. Screenshot attached. 

Di12_0-1709322132861.png

Need more support?