cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox account deleted

Dropbox account deleted

omerzafeer
Explorer | Level 3

I had a dropbox account since 2010 at least. I have been using it regularly. I just found out that my account has been deleted?? I was able to create a new account on the same email address. My account was part of a business account as well and I have lost access to all of my files both personal and business. I never received any email regarding this. The last email I got was just a regular update to shared folders on Nov 7th so this means it happened between 7.11.2023 and today 30.11.2023.
Also because I had to create a new account, my free storage has also been reduced and is now only 2gb.
How can I get access to my files back? my personal files.

11 Replies 11

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @omerzafeer, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

It sounds like you were a member of a Dropbox Business team, meaning that the team admin technically owned your account, and they deleted your account.

Unfortunately, since you were able to create a new Dropbox account under the same email, this means it's been more than 7 days since the deletion, which is the period reserved for the team admin to restore your account

At this point, you'll need to ask the team admin to see if they still have a copy of your files, and for them to transfer the files to you directly.

If you have any further queries, feel free to message back.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

omerzafeer
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay
Thank you very much for replying. Are you sure it was deleted by the team admin? If that is the case, it is a serious breach of my privacy under local laws. Can you please assure me if it was deleted by the admin? And also, does the admin have access to my personal files as well? That does not make much sense to be honest. I had had my dropbox account for more than a decade and I was added to the team not more than 6 months ago.
I thought my personal account and files were mine and nobody else had access to them.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

If you were a member of a Dropbox Business team, they could have access to all your files depending on the plan they're on. 

Since you mentioned you couldn't login to the account, what error message did you get back then?

When you join a team, you get the option to merge your account or keep your personal files separate. Do you remember which option you chose?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

omerzafeer
Explorer | Level 3

It just said no account associated with this email and took me to the sign up page. I think I checked the merge option but i am not sure.

Mark
Super User II

@omerzafeer wrote:

I was added to the team not more than 6 months ago.
I thought my personal account and files were mine and nobody else had access to them.

When you are onboarded to the Team you are told this is the case. Everything that you 'had' becomes the Teams' when you join. Its why you are almost forced to set up a second account for the Team instead of moving yours over.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

omerzafeer
Explorer | Level 3

unfortunately I was not told that. I saw someone else's account and it showed two separate folders. Their own files and the company's. So I thought they will both stay separate.
Unfortunately the admin only has the official files and not my personal. So are they just.... gone? forever?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @omerzafeer, have you asked the admin to see if they have the option to restore your account?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

omerzafeer
Explorer | Level 3
I have sent them an email but unfortunately there is a time difference of almost 12 hours between the two of us so it might still take a few more hours to a reply from them. In the meantime, could you please confirm if they or dropbox themself can restore my personal files? Thanks a bunch!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

I'm afraid that if the admin has deleted the account, the files cannot be restored by us, Omer.

Let's hope that the admin can restore the account.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

omerzafeer Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?