cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Delete from everywhere' message

'Delete from everywhere' message

Severn_E
New member | Level 2

Hello everyone,

Have a question regarding sync for you all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So currently I have a macbook and two hard drives synced with my Dropbox account

Now I have added a desktop Mac to my system. I have a question regarding heirachy and deleting.

Okay so on my new Mac desktop if I drag some folders from my macbook's desktop onto new Mac desktop machine and then after a while I delete these folders it gives me the message "delete this file from Dropbox and all devices".

So if I delete this folder from my new desktop will it delete it from Dropbox and my MacBook pros desktop?

In the ideal world for me I would prefer that if I have a file on two computers and the Dropbox cloud that they stay there until I delete from all devices. I would like to ability to delete from one machine and it not affect the folder on my other machine and the Dropbox cloud.

I hope I explained myself well enough to understand here.

Thanks guys

Ben

1 Reply 1

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Severn_E, thanks for messaging the Community!

The message you see states that if you delete a file, it would be deleted from the site, and from the Dropbox folder of any connected devices.

If the file you're deleting is in the normal Dropbox folder of the Mac (and not a Dropbox Backup folder), then it would be deleted from the Dropbox folder of the MacBook.

If you have any further queries, feel free to message back.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?