cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: When you share a file via dropbox to an outside member, how do they access it?

We've shared an Excel file with other users, but they can't edit it in Excel

Jalby
Explorer | Level 3

When someone opens a dropbox excel file that has been shared with them, it seems they are not able to edit in excel, unless they download it, or save via dropbox. How would someone be able to edit the file and have it show up for everyone that the file is shared with?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II

@Jalby wrote:

I did to my knowledge share it with edit rights. My screen looks like this next to the "Who can access" screen.

Does the file appear for them on this page?

This really is much easier when the file is placed in a folder and you share the folder rather than the file itself. You invite them to the folder, they accept and it's added to their account, then any changes made within that folder sync for all members of the folder. There's far less confusion over shared links and whether or not a person has view or edit access.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Mark
Super User II

Unless they have a Dropbox account they wouldnt be able to do this. Sharing links to none Dropbox members creates a read only link. 

They need to edit the file and edit it within Dropbox for others to see it - either Excel on web (when logged in) or by downloading and uploading again. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Jalby
Explorer | Level 3
They have a free dropbox account, does that not work?

Mark
Super User II

Yes. So they need to log on and accept the share via the email they are sent, or, at www.dropbox.com/share

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Jalby
Explorer | Level 3
Okay, thank you. I thought that would work too but all they're able to do from there is download, and then it downloads on their phone but they aren't able to upload it via the Dropbox app or if they export it or save it to their phone and open it via excel that way, it creates a copy.

Rich
Super User II

@Jalby wrote:
... all they're able to do from there is download, and then it downloads on their phone but they aren't able to upload it via the Dropbox app ...

It sounds like you used a view-only shared link, rather than an edit link or inviting them into a shared folder that contained the file. A view-only shared link would only allow someone to view or download a file, or save it to their own Dropbox, and they would not be able to make changes to your original file nor upload back to your account.

You need to use a shared link with edit access, or place the file in a folder and share the folder with edit access.

Jalby
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for your help! I did to my knowledge share it with edit rights. My screen looks like this next to the "Who can access" screen. 

Jalby_0-1716224692530.png

Rich
Super User II

@Jalby wrote:

I did to my knowledge share it with edit rights. My screen looks like this next to the "Who can access" screen.

Does the file appear for them on this page?

This really is much easier when the file is placed in a folder and you share the folder rather than the file itself. You invite them to the folder, they accept and it's added to their account, then any changes made within that folder sync for all members of the folder. There's far less confusion over shared links and whether or not a person has view or edit access.

Jalby
Explorer | Level 3

Gotcha. Yes, it does pop up there but only has an option to download. It seems to be working when someone edits on a computer but not on a phone. We might have to create separate folders then. We just didn't want them to have access to the other files in that folder. 

Jalby
Explorer | Level 3

I created separate folders and it worked! Thank you so much. 

Need more support?