cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Sharing folders with Dropbox Plus - help please

Sharing a folder and giving someone editing access

luriet
Explorer | Level 3

I want to share a folder that contains photos and I'd like the person I'm sending it to to have editing access so they can save to their own personal folder and be able to edit, crop or send the photos to others. If they make changes to any of the photos, are the changes only in their personal folder on their PC, or do their edits also appear in my folder, or affect the photos in my personal Dropbox folder. I am the owner of the file. I don't want their edits to affect my original photos in any way. I did not see this answer online.

Thank you.

7 Replies 7

Rich
Super User II

@luriet wrote:

I want to share a folder that contains photos and I'd like the person I'm sending it to to have editing access... If they make changes to any of the photos, are the changes only in their personal folder on their PC, or do their edits also appear in my folder ...

If you invite someone to a shared folder with edit access, any changes they make within the folder will apply to all members of the folder, including you. If you don't want them to make changes to your original files, send them a view-only shared link and they can simply download the files and edit them as needed on their own device or in their own Dropbox account without affecting your originals.

luriet
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you very much for your response.  When reading the Dropbox explanation for view only, it sounded like they could download, but not edit anything. I interpreted that to mean they couldn't edit at all, even when saved to their pc. I would like them to be able to edit, but not if that meant it would also change things in my folder. The person I shared with does not have a Dropbox account. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @luriet, you can share a view-only shared folder to the user, and the files will download to their machine (if installed), and they won't be able to edit files. They'll have to copy them to another folder on their machine to make any changes to them.

Bear in mind, however, that if they don't have a Dropbox account, they'll need to create one, and then add the shared folder. The folder itself cannot be larger than their quota either, (which is 2 GB on a Basic plan), as it won't allow it to be added.

The best option would be to follow the advice from @Rich to create a shared link to a folder, which can be accessed by anyone, even those users without an account.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Engram
New member | Level 2

Hello,

i own a Dropbox Plus subscription and i need to create some shared folderes where other persons can upload/download files.
I try to share that folder inviting someone via email, sending copying the link. I would expect that the other person is now able to edit the content of that folder and upload/download files.
This does not see to work since it looks like they must have a paid subscription instead.

So, questions is:

- Is Dropbox Plus enough in order to do what i need ? In case, what i'm doing wrong ?
- If it's not enough, which is the lowest subscription plan which allows me to invite external users as Editors on specificfolders, even if they do not have a dropbox subscription ?

I find the whole docs / plan scheme very confusing since it's not clear what "User" means.

Basically my plan has one user, which is me, but it's not clear if each guy i invite to edit a folder must be an "user" himself. in this case i would need a subscription for a lot of users and at that point Dropbox would not be a conveniente solution anymore.

thank you in advance,

Paolo

Mark
Super User II

Hi @Engram 

Plus will allow you to do this, but, not with Links. Dropbox links are designed as read-only / download links. You need to send somebody a Shared folder which will allow them to edit. The only key thing to note with this is that if the folder is, for example, 5gb in size the person you send it to also needs 5gb of free space in their own account. 

https://help.dropbox.com/share/share-file-or-folder

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Engram
New member | Level 2

Hello,

thank you for your answer.
Some more information:

- Basically i should send an email invitation to that person, instead than a Link. can you confirm ?

- What if i need to invite persons that do not use dropbox, or which do not have enough space on their account ? Is there a way to get rid of this limitation ?

thank you again,

Paolo

Mark
Super User II

Hi

You dont just send an email, you have to share the folder via the website (which will then email them).

There is no way to remove the limitation unless you buy and pay for a licence for them. 

The work around is to use links (as you have) and have them upload back to you via Requests

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?