cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Shared excel file not updating on my end

Shared excel file not updating on my end

Jalby
Explorer | Level 3

I've shared an excel file via dropbox sharing and I saw that the person opened it but they edited it and I'm not seeing their edits. I've shared exactly the same way with others and I'm seeing their edits. He sent me a screenshot and it looks exactly like it should but I still don't see anything. I can see when others are editing though and his never said it was edited, so I have a feeling he's doing it wrong. I asked for the others to help him but he said they all did it together. I'm at a loss for what to tell him, any idea why this may be happening?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II

Phones dont work like the web etc. 

If they upload on a mobile device they will almost certainly need to reupload it back to Dropbox after the edit (exception to this is SOME Microsoft Office 365 applications will write back to Dropbox, but, its a bit hit and miss). It is obvious if it does this though

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jalby
Explorer | Level 3
Do they need to be part of my team to edit? I'm just extremely confused why some are working and some aren't. I'm not sure what to do and it's very important I can see all the edits right when they happen.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Jalby - sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Could you please clarify if this is an individual shared file, a shared folder or a team folder perhaps?  

How exactly are you and your collaborators editing this specific excel file? Is it through the app integration through the website or via the app locally on your devices?

Do you or your collaborator see the edits on the file in the events page or the file's version history?

Any additional information or screenshots are more than welcome!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Jalby
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter! It's a team dropbox, but it's an individual excel file that I shared with people outside the team. Some people are able to edit it just fine but others seem to be having issues. They are editing the file via the Dropbox app on their phone and I'm not able to see when they edit on the event page. I think they saved a local copy but when I tried to edit outside of the team on my phone, it also seemed that I had to export or save to my phone or the dropbox app. These all seemed to just save a copy and not edit the original file.

Mark
Super User II

Phones dont work like the web etc. 

If they upload on a mobile device they will almost certainly need to reupload it back to Dropbox after the edit (exception to this is SOME Microsoft Office 365 applications will write back to Dropbox, but, its a bit hit and miss). It is obvious if it does this though

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Jalby
Explorer | Level 3

Okay, thank you for your help!

Need more support?