cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop being intrusive. Let people download links without the “Sign Up / Sign In” prompt in their face

Remove "Login/SignUp" Dialog box from shared link download

jaycub
Helpful | Level 5

Currently, when I send a client a link to download a file using the Dropbox share file functionality, they are directed to a preview page. When they click the Download button, they are presented with a dialog box prompting them to sign in or sign up for Dropbox. At the bottom of this dialog box, in text that more closely resembles a legal disclaimer, they are given the option to download without signing up. 

As a paid user, I cannot entertain this dark UI feature. If I need to provide clients with an instruction manual on how to work around a dark UI feature, then it makes me look really cheap and really hacky. 

Not only does it make me look bad, but it's also a really nasty look for the Dropbox brand. 

Feel free to keep grubbing for frustrated free user signups, but know that it is coming at the expense of long-time paid users. You have 30 days. 

7 Replies 7

jaycub
Helpful | Level 5

This image, from the instruction manual that I now need to include with links to deliverables, illustrates the intentional misdirection at play.

Screenshot 2024-03-13 at 7.47.51 AM.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @jaycub - thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on this with us.

Your feedback has been noted in our system and you can let us know if you have anything else to add. 

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

jaycub
Helpful | Level 5

Lots more issues across the board with file delivery over the last few days. Clients "not having permission" for view links, not being able to view or download on different devices.

I'm really sad about this, Dropbox has been such a huge part of my eco-system for so long, but I can't spend my days fielding complaints about and untangling file deliveries. Time to migrate

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

I’m sorry to hear about this, @jaycub. If you wish, feel free to send us more details on the issue you mention with users not having permission to view shared links, and we can take a look.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

RootsRockData
Helpful | Level 5

Seconded on this. This is a really tacky pop up window for a service that we all pay for. You allow branding and control of the page itself but then this spammy pop up makes us as clients look unprofessional. Please consider removing this immediately. 

rdinsf
Helpful | Level 6

I just noticed this as well.  Is this a new thing, or am I just now noticing it for the first time?  Very confusing for clients who need to download things that I send to them. 

Talik13
New member | Level 2

Make it easier to just download a file without this nonsense that confuses boomers and is purpousefully designed with dark-patterns to trick people into signing up instead of just letting them download the file.

Scummy stuff from a User Experience perspective. 

Need more support?