cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My computer is lagging when accessing local files when not connected to internet

My computer is lagging when accessing local files when not connected to internet

nzer
Explorer | Level 3

I am finding Dropbox to be unstable locally when I am offline eg laggy, stalling, files aren't available.  If I can't treat my dropbox files like any other file on my hard drive there is no point of using it IMO.  I've been using dropbox for over a decade without this problem.

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II

@nzer wrote:

I am finding Dropbox to be unstable locally when I am offline eg laggy, stalling, files aren't available.

Are the files marked as Available offline?

nzer
Explorer | Level 3

They shouldn't need to be surely?! They are on my hard drive - its not up to dropbox to say whether or not they should be available offline + why should I undertake a time consuming admin process to access my own local files?.   I've been using dropbox for over a decade without this problem.  

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @nzer, thanks for messaging the Community.

If the files aren't made available offline, it can take some time for the files to be downloaded from the site in order to view them.

It's possible that default for new files to be online-only, have you tried checking this using these steps, and marking your current files as available offline?

Keep me posted.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

nzer
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks - I will see how it goes but this does make it difficult to trust Dropbox.   My hard drive files shouldn't be controlled by Dropbox & them doing so makes me very suspicious.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

nzer Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?