cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to have a shared folder with a view-only file inside of it?

Is there a way to have a shared folder with a view-only file inside of it?

Jalby
Explorer | Level 3

I'm trying to have all of the files in one spot and was having trouble with the shared files being able to get edited without being in a folder. Is there a way to put a view-only file in a shared folder or is everything in there able to get edited? 

6 Replies 6

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Jalby! Thanks for your post.

I’m afraid what you’re asking isn’t possible. At the moment, it’s only possible to change the sharing permissions of a specific member to the whole folder.

In this case, this file will need to be placed outside of this folder and shared separately with view-only permissions instead.

Hope this helps.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Jalby
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you! Do you know if it will ever be possible in the future? It would be incredibly helpful for us. Is there a way to save a document to the dropbox app so you can see real time changes to a view-only file?

Rogaa
Helpful | Level 5
Hi there,

Have you tried Dropbox Paper though?

Jalby
Explorer | Level 3

Hi!

I haven't. Is it a better system for sharing files?

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey again, @Jalby! I can’t tell for sure if what you asked above will be possible, but I’ve passed your feedback to our team.

Also, about your question here “Is there a way to save a document to the dropbox app so you can see real time changes to a view-only file?”, can you clarify what you mean exactly?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rogaa
Helpful | Level 5
Regarding your question about the view-only in shared files , they are actually automatically available in the Desktop App just like in the web browser. And to keep you updated for real time changes made in the view-only files , you can opt in on your Notifications under Settings for sending you emails everytime there are file activities or changes made . If these files are office files as well like (word, excel, powerpoint), you can install Dropbox Badge to keep you updated realtime if there are file activities being performed :

https://help.dropbox.com/installs/badge-overview

Hope this helps

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rogaa Helpful | Level 5
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Jalby Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?