cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: how can I check which files and folders I have uploaded from my computer to Dropbox?

How can I check which files and folders I have uploaded from my computer to Dropbox?

Martin Simonovski
Helpful | Level 5

My Dropbox administrator has removed me from Dropbox, so how can I check which files and folders I have uploaded from my computer to Dropbox?

Specifically, the man I was working with on software development stole the system and all the ideas and concepts we had been working on for the last few years and ran away. Before he escaped, he removed my access to Dropbox. A few weeks before that I uploaded many files from my computer to Dropbox and I can't remember which. Therefore I need to find out if I can check locally which files and folders I have attached. If anyone can give me guidance or advice I would be grateful.

17 Replies 17

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Martin Simonovski, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

It wouldn't really be possible to know what files were uploaded to a Dropbox account from the local machine itself. 

If they used the desktop app, or the site, then any uploads would be listed on the events page, however, those events are specific to each account. 

Do you know exactly what method they used to upload files? Do you see any browser history (such as any Dropbox URLs) that might help shed some light?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Martin Simonovski
Helpful | Level 5

Thank you for your reply, Jay. It means a lot to me. For uploading, I used the simplest copy-and-paste method from my computer to the Dropbox app. I don't know which method the other person used for uploading, the only thing I know is that he was using dropbox from a macbook app. I have checked the events page and I can't find anything there.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

When you say copy and paste, do you mean pasting into the Dropbox folder, or the Dropbox website?

As you mentioned that the user removed your access, does this mean access to a shared folder? The removal of that shared folder should be visible on the events page, if this is the case.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Martin Simonovski
Helpful | Level 5
  • Dropbox folder (Dropbox app)
  • Yes, access to a shared folder.  It is not visible on the events page, he has probably copied the folders to his machine and then removed (deleted) them from Dropbox.  

Jay
Dropbox Staff

If the files were in a shared folder, and your access was removed from it, then there should be a message about this in the events page. 

However, it does mean that it wouldn't be possible to recover the files from the shared folder, since you're no longer a member of it.

Are you certain that there's no other copy of the files on your computer, or even another computer that you haven't used since this happened?? 

You could use file recovery software to potentially recover any data that was locally stored on your machine. 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Martin Simonovski
Helpful | Level 5
  • I have no idea what he has done, that's why I can't find anything on the event page.
  • Sadly, I am aware that I will not be able to recover anything from the shared folder!
  • All I want to know is which documents from my computer I've attached to Dropbox.
  • I have copies of the crucial files on my computer, and I want to make sure that I haven't shared them. These elements are essential, and without them, it will be difficult for the other person to launch the software independently. (It's not impossible because he has the code, but unfortunately, I don't.)
  • I don't need to recover the files because they are already on my computer.Jay, I want to express my deepest gratitude for taking the time and energy to help me. May God bless you and your family. I have decided to let go of that project and start something completely new.

Martin Simonovski
Helpful | Level 5

A few days later, I realized that my Dropbox administrator had not removed me from Dropbox. Instead, he:

1) Make me an administrator;

2) Cut the folders and files from the shared folder and moved them to his machine.

3) Removed his access from the shared folder.

So how can I check which files and folders I have uploaded from my computer to Dropbox? Specifically, the man I was working with on software development stole the system and all the ideas and concepts we had been working on for the last few years and ran away. Before he escaped, he removed the files and folders. A few weeks before that I uploaded many files from my computer to Dropbox and I can't remember which. Therefore I need to find out if I can check locally which files and folders I have attached. If anyone can give me guidance or advice I would be grateful.

Mark
Super User II

Hi @Martin Simonovski 

You will, unfortunately, need to manually cross reference the files on your machine and those at www.dropbox.com/home. Or, if you have Dropbox installed on a device everything in the Dropbox folder SHOULD be uploaded - as long as you have quota.

As for previous files www.dropbox.com/events will help 🙂

For shared files, that depends, if the person removed you from the share then there is no way to see what was previously uploaded and what wasn't - all history of the share vanishes as its removed. You may be able to see what Shares existed at www.dropbox.com/share, however, and possibly rejoin some. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Martin Simonovski
Helpful | Level 5

I can't find anything in either Home or Events. They're both empty!

Need more support?