cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I avoid any syncing issues upon reconnecting my Linux desktop app to my web account?

How can I avoid any syncing issues upon reconnecting my Linux desktop app to my web account?

lmalma
Helpful | Level 6

I'm an Ubuntu Linux user who had been using Dropbox's desktop app for years until your support ended for my OS's version.

Since then, I've kept the Dropbox folder on my PC as is and have been manually uploading any changed files from that folder to the Dropbox website.
I plan to upgrade the PC to a supported Ubuntu operating system in a week or so.

My question is this:
When I'm able to get and restart using the desktop app again, what do I need to do to get the Dropbox folder on my PC and the website content back in sync without trouble?

Thanks much for any advice!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @lmalma! Thanks for posting on our Community!

Before reconnecting the Dropbox app to our servers, I suggest you double check your files in your local Dropbox folder and your online account once again to make sure you see the same file versions on both sides. 

This way, the Dropbox app should just re-index your files and not overwrite anything.

Let me know if I can be of more help though.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @lmalma! Thanks for posting on our Community!

Before reconnecting the Dropbox app to our servers, I suggest you double check your files in your local Dropbox folder and your online account once again to make sure you see the same file versions on both sides. 

This way, the Dropbox app should just re-index your files and not overwrite anything.

Let me know if I can be of more help though.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

lmalma
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks Nancy!

That's just the advice I needed.

I was hoping not to have to re-upload the entire local Dropbox folder again, and your assistance confirmed that for me.

It'll be a couple of days before I can upgrade the OS, so when I do and re-install the app I'll follow your suggestion.

Thanks again!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

lmalma Helpful | Level 6
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?