cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Allow UPLOADing by anyone

Allow UPLOADing by anyone

rmsachs22
New member | Level 2

I'm a Basic Dropbox user.  I've created a folder specifically to easily allow Concerto Competition applicants to upload their .mp3 audio recordings to my folder.  I simply want to send them a link to my UPLOAD folder.  I don't want them to have to send me their email address ahead of time if I can avoid doing that.  If I must do that, I will.  Also, I would like individual applicants to NOT see any other applicant's files in my UPLOAD folder.  

My folder shows an UPLOAD button, but when I'm testing with other non-users (non-owners), they don't have that same button on their screen.  So they can't upload their own file AND they see what files are already in my UPLOAD folder.  How can I fix this problem?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II

Note: as signature says, I aint an employee, I am just a (paying) user like you 🙂

But. If you use the link @Здравко then no, they dont need to be a Dropbox member to upload. You would create the link, share it with those you want to get things from and then they click on it and upload it to you. It is really that simple. 

Why don't you try it yourself? Create the link and then use an incognito window to upload something. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @rmsachs22,

Take a look here. 😉

Hope this helps.

rmsachs22
New member | Level 2

It helped but still does not work.  Dropbox now allows UPLOADS to my folder.  But I didn't use steps 10 & 11, and didn't see a way to use step 9 (click create).  Just pressed "save".  

Remember I don't know ahead of time who will be uploading files.  Next step:  contact DropBox support for further help.

Mark
Super User II

This is the only way to upload to your account via native Dropbox without a person being a member or having a shared folder with them. The other option is you write a program to do it via API. 

So, if you want Dropbox to collect the files for you you need to get this part to work as there is no workaround.

My suggestion (and how I use it) is I create a link for upload and then just embed this in any documentation I send out. So if I send to people/post it online anybody can use it at any point. I do not individually and personally need to give them it, it just works. 

The ONE THING however to remember here is that you do not get the email of the person uploading the files. SO you get their names if they put that in to the Request upload box BUT you must make sure they give you some way of identifying how to contact them if they win your competition. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

rmsachs22
New member | Level 2

Thank you, Mark.   Yes, I have been using your method of sending out a link in a general correspondence to unknown folks who want to participate.   I've done that successfully for several years using Dropbox.   But now, for some reason, although the non-user can see my UPLOAD folder successfully, they cannot upload their own file to my folder.  They see NO UPLOAD button and they can't simply drag & drop.

I'm stumped and can't get personal help from Dropbox as a Basic user.

Mark
Super User II

@rmsachs22 wrote:

They see NO UPLOAD button and they can't simply drag & drop.

They will only get that if they are a part of your shared folder and Dropbox user. That is via www.dropbox.com/share BUT then gives everybody in it read/write access to everything else uploaded. 

File requests take them direct to www.dropbox.com where they upload to Dropbox's website, not your folder structure. 

rmsachs22
New member | Level 2

Hmmm.  So help me to understand from your customer's viewpoint (the ones who want to UPLOAD stuff to your folder) step by step how they do an UPLOAD.  And do they have to be Dropbox users?

Mark
Super User II

Note: as signature says, I aint an employee, I am just a (paying) user like you 🙂

But. If you use the link @Здравко then no, they dont need to be a Dropbox member to upload. You would create the link, share it with those you want to get things from and then they click on it and upload it to you. It is really that simple. 

Why don't you try it yourself? Create the link and then use an incognito window to upload something. 

Need more support?