cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: macOS Monterey 12 - Couldnt Start Dropbox

macOS Monterey 12 - Couldnt Start Dropbox

RobertPatton
Explorer | Level 4

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 131.4.3968
bn.constants.WINDOWS_SHELL_EXT_VERSION: 48
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: dd8495f4-eeb6-52f3-a698-4cbb0543dbcf
pid: 3947
ppid: 1
uid: 501
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='robertpatton', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Robert Patton', pw_dir='/Users/robertpatton', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='robertpatton', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Robert Patton', pw_dir='/Users/robertpatton', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
euid: 501
gid: 20
egid: 20
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root'])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root'])
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: '/'
real_path='/'
mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
parent mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: '/Users/robertpatton'
appdata: '/Users/robertpatton/.dropbox/instance1'
real_path='/Users/robertpatton/.dropbox/instance1'
mode=0o40700 uid=501 gid=20
parent mode=0o40700 uid=501 gid=20
dropbox_path: '/Users/robertpatton/Dropbox'
real_path='/Users/robertpatton/Dropbox'
parent mode=0o40755 uid=501 gid=20
sys_executable: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
mode=0o100755 uid=501 gid=20
trace.__file__: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
not found
parent not found
tempdir: '/var/folders/yy/w1nv1hm92x1bn8cmjznvcs780000gn/T'
real_path='/private/var/folders/yy/w1nv1hm92x1bn8cmjznvcs780000gn/T'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 808, in wrapper
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 6525, in finish_dropbox_boot
File "dropbox/client/message_queue.pyc", line 307, in _wrapped
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 6052, in _init_components_for_account
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 5976, in create_sync_engine
File "dropbox/sync_engine_boundary/factory.pyc", line 226, in make_sync_engine
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/sync_engine.pyc", line 280, in __init__
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/modern_client/modern_client.pyc", line 219, in __init__
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/modern_client/base.pyc", line 152, in __init__
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/thin_adapter/in_proc.pyc", line 217, in __init__
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/thin_adapter/in_proc.pyc", line 587, in _init_new_engine_locked
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/thin_client/client.pyc", line 182, in __init__
File "desktop/extensions/nucleus/nucleus_python.pyx", line 76, in nucleus_python.NucleusSyncEngine.__cinit__
nucleus_python.SyncEngineError: "Initializing engine |>> Initializing filesystem |>> Attempting to register icons |>> fchflags syscall: _set_hidden |>> Permission denied"

171 Replies 171

jccastillo0007
New member | Level 2

The procedure above from  aboxoflogic works perfectly, thanks

Jwrbloom
New member | Level 2

The .dmg file is downloaded, but it won't even launch and install itself.  I've searched and found some having issues and seeing errors.  I'm not even getting that far.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Hi @Jwrbloom, thanks for reaching out to us! 

Have you made sure that you have no firewall, proxy settings, or VPN blocking your device? 

Have you also tried the offline installer? If not, feel free to find it here and give it a go. 

Let me know the results.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

joslynbarnes
Explorer | Level 4

This was the only thing that worked for me! Thank you! 

danielmorenoz
New member | Level 2

Thank you. Live saving. 

TuckerJ623
New member | Level 2

Thanks to Andrea.  This fixed my issue as well after weeks of having this issue.

MariaJ
Explorer | Level 3

Tried even with the updated Monterey 12.1 and it is not sync'ing.  It is a big problem.  We also work with the Business Dropbox, and it is not working either.

How can I proceed?  I have the 2 accounts: private and business. 

I am afraid to uninstall everything.

MariaJ
Explorer | Level 3

I wish it had worked for me.  I have read some others who were not lucky, and this is not working for me either. 

I wonder whether this is a Dropbox or an Apple problem, but both companies should work this out in a seamless way for  ALL users. No need to code nor to make strange moves to those feeling uneasy with changing parameters on their own.  Both products claim to be wysiwyg and plug and play, so walk the talk!

DrKarin
New member | Level 2

Andrea, I don't understand enough to have gone through your steps the first time you replied.  But this one has the level of detail I needed.  It worked!  Thanks, Karin

hoibo83
New member | Level 2

using these lines in terminal all work again!!! many thanks!!!

macos monterey 12.1

------

Dropboxer

November

If the previous steps didn't resolve the issue, you can try the following.

1) Stop the Dropbox desktop application (if needed)

• Click on the Dropbox icon.
  • Choose Quit/Stop/Exit

2) Open your Terminal app (Located at /Applications/Utilities/Terminal)

3) Copy and paste the following lines into the Terminal, one at a time, and press RETURN after each one. PLEASE make sure you copy and paste these commands (don't type them by hand), as getting them wrong could cause some harm. You'll be prompted for your computer user's password (not your Dropbox password) after entering the first command. Keep in mind that the password field in the terminal will remain blank as you type your password. After you type it, just press ENTER. You'll know that these instructions complete normally once the initial line of text (called prompt) comes up again:

sudo chflags -R nouchg ~/Dropbox ~/.dropbox

sudo chown "$USER" "$HOME"

sudo chown -R "$USER" ~/Dropbox ~/.dropbox

sudo chmod -RN ~/.dropbox ~/Dropbox

chmod -R u+rw ~/Dropbox ~/.dropbox

Please note that once the prompt displays, the instruction completed the requested task, and is ready for the next command. If the command returns an error, or does not respond after an hour, you may want to try restarting your computer and try these steps again.

If you see an error after running one of these commands, let us know.

4) Restart Dropbox from Applications

Keep us updated on any progress.

DISCLAIMER: Please be advised that these steps include using the Terminal application. You should only try this if you are comfortable using Terminal, as incorrect usage can result in unwanted consequences. If you are not familiar with Terminal or run into any issues or errors, please let us know and we’ll take your case to ticket to troubleshoot directly. 

Need more support?