cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: macOS Monterey 12 - Couldnt Start Dropbox

macOS Monterey 12 - Couldnt Start Dropbox

RobertPatton
Explorer | Level 4

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 131.4.3968
bn.constants.WINDOWS_SHELL_EXT_VERSION: 48
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: dd8495f4-eeb6-52f3-a698-4cbb0543dbcf
pid: 3947
ppid: 1
uid: 501
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='robertpatton', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Robert Patton', pw_dir='/Users/robertpatton', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='robertpatton', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Robert Patton', pw_dir='/Users/robertpatton', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
euid: 501
gid: 20
egid: 20
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root'])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root'])
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: '/'
real_path='/'
mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
parent mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: '/Users/robertpatton'
appdata: '/Users/robertpatton/.dropbox/instance1'
real_path='/Users/robertpatton/.dropbox/instance1'
mode=0o40700 uid=501 gid=20
parent mode=0o40700 uid=501 gid=20
dropbox_path: '/Users/robertpatton/Dropbox'
real_path='/Users/robertpatton/Dropbox'
parent mode=0o40755 uid=501 gid=20
sys_executable: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
mode=0o100755 uid=501 gid=20
trace.__file__: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
not found
parent not found
tempdir: '/var/folders/yy/w1nv1hm92x1bn8cmjznvcs780000gn/T'
real_path='/private/var/folders/yy/w1nv1hm92x1bn8cmjznvcs780000gn/T'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 808, in wrapper
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 6525, in finish_dropbox_boot
File "dropbox/client/message_queue.pyc", line 307, in _wrapped
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 6052, in _init_components_for_account
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 5976, in create_sync_engine
File "dropbox/sync_engine_boundary/factory.pyc", line 226, in make_sync_engine
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/sync_engine.pyc", line 280, in __init__
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/modern_client/modern_client.pyc", line 219, in __init__
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/modern_client/base.pyc", line 152, in __init__
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/thin_adapter/in_proc.pyc", line 217, in __init__
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/thin_adapter/in_proc.pyc", line 587, in _init_new_engine_locked
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/thin_client/client.pyc", line 182, in __init__
File "desktop/extensions/nucleus/nucleus_python.pyx", line 76, in nucleus_python.NucleusSyncEngine.__cinit__
nucleus_python.SyncEngineError: "Initializing engine |>> Initializing filesystem |>> Attempting to register icons |>> fchflags syscall: _set_hidden |>> Permission denied"

171 Replies 171

Jay
Dropbox Staff

If the previous steps didn't resolve the issue, you can try the following.

1) Stop the Dropbox desktop application (if needed)

• Click on the Dropbox icon.
  • Choose Quit/Stop/Exit

2) Open your Terminal app (Located at /Applications/Utilities/Terminal)

3) Copy and paste the following lines into the Terminal, one at a time, and press RETURN after each one. PLEASE make sure you copy and paste these commands (don't type them by hand), as getting them wrong could cause some harm. You'll be prompted for your computer user's password (not your Dropbox password) after entering the first command. Keep in mind that the password field in the terminal will remain blank as you type your password. After you type it, just press ENTER. You'll know that these instructions complete normally once the initial line of text (called prompt) comes up again:

sudo chflags -R nouchg ~/Dropbox ~/.dropbox

sudo chown "$USER" "$HOME"

sudo chown -R "$USER" ~/Dropbox ~/.dropbox

sudo chmod -RN ~/.dropbox ~/Dropbox

chmod -R u+rw ~/Dropbox ~/.dropbox

Please note that once the prompt displays, the instruction completed the requested task, and is ready for the next command. If the command returns an error, or does not respond after an hour, you may want to try restarting your computer and try these steps again.

If you see an error after running one of these commands, let us know.

4) Restart Dropbox from Applications

Keep us updated on any progress.

DISCLAIMER: Please be advised that these steps include using the Terminal application. You should only try this if you are comfortable using Terminal, as incorrect usage can result in unwanted consequences. If you are not familiar with Terminal or run into any issues or errors, please let us know and we’ll take your case to ticket to troubleshoot directly. 

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

shinbeth
Experienced | Level 13

I've tried the official and latest beta Dropbox installers (https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-desktop-client-builds/bd-p/101003016), nothing works. The .dmg simply won't open. I tried to BatchMod, CodeSign, DeQuarantine them... nothing helps.

And Dropbox won't launch in Monterey either. Before you say it, yes, I did close everything before in Processes, allowed Dropbox app in security preferences, as well as Full Disk Access, Files & Folders (which is greyed out in Monterey, but Dropbox can be seen as ticked) and Accessibility (which is also greyed out in Monterey, but Dropbox can be seen as ticked). And Macbook restart.

Still nothing works. Won't install. Won't open.

Please help. Thanks.

StellarCore47
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jay,

The Security & Privacy protocol worked for me. I rebooted and bingo -- all systems GO !m Dropbox immediately started and synched.

FYI-- Running macOS 12.1 Beta version (21C5021h)

Full Disk Access was already checked. Files & Folders was grayed out but indicated Dropbox checked and Full Disk Access.

Accessibility was not checked. I checked; rebooted and Voila! success.

I will continue to explore on my other Mac and my iPad Pro 5th Gen running iPadOS 15 beta

StellarCore47
Explorer | Level 4

Jay's protocol worked for me. FYI-- I downloaded the dropbox.dmg download that Hannah (Dropboxer) listed the proceeded with the n Security & Privacy protocol Jay listed above and after reboot, Dropbox worked fine and synched immediately.

StellarCore47
Explorer | Level 4

Update. Strange twist. Synching does not work (after the initial start) during the continuous operation of Dropbox (macOS 12.1 beta). After I had completed the Security & Privacy protocol Jay (Dropboxer) had listed and then rebooted Dropbox opened and synched previously uploaded files. However, uploading new files from iPadOS 15 to Dropbox worked just fine but the Dropbox on macOS 12.1 beta did not synch these new files. Go figure.

shinbeth
Experienced | Level 13

Same here - it FINALLY WORKED omg FFS

1. I downloaded the installer from a third-party source (https://www.computerbild.de/download/Dropbox-Mac-5857819.html) and NOT FROM DROPBOX WEBSITES - official and beta Dropbox installers are not working so far with Monterey, because I think Apple thinks Dropbox is not a trustworthy developer. And worse, it doesn't even give you the choice to clear Dropbox in security preferences (as it does usually), even after Batchmoding the installers in Terminal or with 3-party apps.

2. Anyway, then I followed @Jay protocol (like I presumed in the first place, it's a Sudo permission issue...), to unlock Dropbox

3. FINALLY Dropbox.app in Security > Files & Folders was UNCHECKED as a result, and I could then CHECK it like you guys said

4. I followed @Jay protocol again, just to make sure Sudo permissions were still in the green for these folders

5. I rebooted (I might have rebooted after 2. though, can't remember exactly)

5. It works!

You guys should really sort this out, millions of users will be in this situation as they upgrade to Monterey.

Cheers.

shinbeth
Experienced | Level 13

StellarCore47
Explorer | Level 4

shinbeth,

I find that when Dropbox is running that any new file Syncs are stalled. When I restart/reboot Mac then Dropbox opens and the backlogged sync files are then executed. However, any new syncing operations that follow are again stalled until another reboot/restart of Mac. I followed @Jay protocols: (1) Security & Privacy checks and (2) Terminal "sudo" but I did not do an Advanced Install (which is posted under "Cant' start Dropbox in Monterey". Quirky.

hrabenka
New member | Level 2

Hello,

I try several manuals that is mentioned in this thread. But I still I can't install - I start installer - it shows in monitor activity for like three sec and disappear and Dropbox app des not show anywhere :(. 

Please help.

shinbeth
Experienced | Level 13

@hrabenka In my case I found out it was a permission issue, whenever I would Batchmod the .app it would not start again.

But every time I reinstalled it worked, so now I don't touch the .app anymore, and it both starts at startup and works all fine.

Hope it can help you.

Need more support?