cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: macOS Monterey 12 - Couldnt Start Dropbox

macOS Monterey 12 - Couldnt Start Dropbox

RobertPatton
Explorer | Level 4

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 131.4.3968
bn.constants.WINDOWS_SHELL_EXT_VERSION: 48
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: dd8495f4-eeb6-52f3-a698-4cbb0543dbcf
pid: 3947
ppid: 1
uid: 501
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='robertpatton', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Robert Patton', pw_dir='/Users/robertpatton', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='robertpatton', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Robert Patton', pw_dir='/Users/robertpatton', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
euid: 501
gid: 20
egid: 20
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root'])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root'])
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: '/'
real_path='/'
mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
parent mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: '/Users/robertpatton'
appdata: '/Users/robertpatton/.dropbox/instance1'
real_path='/Users/robertpatton/.dropbox/instance1'
mode=0o40700 uid=501 gid=20
parent mode=0o40700 uid=501 gid=20
dropbox_path: '/Users/robertpatton/Dropbox'
real_path='/Users/robertpatton/Dropbox'
parent mode=0o40755 uid=501 gid=20
sys_executable: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
mode=0o100755 uid=501 gid=20
trace.__file__: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
not found
parent not found
tempdir: '/var/folders/yy/w1nv1hm92x1bn8cmjznvcs780000gn/T'
real_path='/private/var/folders/yy/w1nv1hm92x1bn8cmjznvcs780000gn/T'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 808, in wrapper
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 6525, in finish_dropbox_boot
File "dropbox/client/message_queue.pyc", line 307, in _wrapped
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 6052, in _init_components_for_account
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 5976, in create_sync_engine
File "dropbox/sync_engine_boundary/factory.pyc", line 226, in make_sync_engine
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/sync_engine.pyc", line 280, in __init__
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/modern_client/modern_client.pyc", line 219, in __init__
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/modern_client/base.pyc", line 152, in __init__
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/thin_adapter/in_proc.pyc", line 217, in __init__
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/thin_adapter/in_proc.pyc", line 587, in _init_new_engine_locked
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/thin_client/client.pyc", line 182, in __init__
File "desktop/extensions/nucleus/nucleus_python.pyx", line 76, in nucleus_python.NucleusSyncEngine.__cinit__
nucleus_python.SyncEngineError: "Initializing engine |>> Initializing filesystem |>> Attempting to register icons |>> fchflags syscall: _set_hidden |>> Permission denied"

171 Replies 171

pbecker314
New member | Level 2

Also having the exact same issue with my 2015 Macbook Pro. Dropbox was working fine until the Monterey 12.0.1 install. Now I always get the error message that Dropbox can't start when I reboot the computer. This really needs to get fixed by Dropbox asap if they want to maintain credibility in the Mac user community

drmajorbob
Explorer | Level 4

Monterey caused the problem. Maybe Apple should get your complaint.

shinbeth
Experienced | Level 13

@drmajorbob 

Dropbox is big enough of a Silicon Valley company to have been able to plan this move, just like any other OS upgrade... it's up to Dropbox teams to sync with Apple dev policies, not the other way around!

andreabonato
Helpful | Level 6
This is a step by step sequences....!
1) by Activity Monitor (you find it in Launchpad-Others-Activity Monitor) search and select all Dropbox items (especially Dropbox Finder Extension) and stop by the :cross_mark_button: or X bottom on the top of the app;
2) by Force Quit (in the System Menu Screenshot 2021-10-29 at 09.50.19.png) refresh or relaunch Finder;
3) in System Preference-Security and Privacy-Full Disk Access (after clicking lock to make change in the bottom left corner), enable Dropbox.App.
4) I think is better to restart computer after that.
I insert more usefull instruction.
I hope you solve your problems!
Bye.
Andrea B

alakija
Explorer | Level 4

"full disk access??? in your instructions? Sorry i don't see that anywhere

alakija
Explorer | Level 4

I tried everything on this string of suggestions. nothing worked. My solution was to take everything I had in Dropbox and put it in iCloud. Maybe this is what Apple wanted. 

If I cannot open or sync Dropbox on my main computer, it is not useful to me anymore.

Sorry, I loved Dropbox while it worked.

shinbeth
Experienced | Level 13

@andreabonato 

fake news, we tried this already, it's hit or miss but for most people won't fix it permanently.

Kit68
New member | Level 2

Just tried it and it helped me too!  Didn't need to force quit finder, but took the other steps (force quitting dropbox in utilities, and then accessing and enabling Dropbox in privacy/securing setting.  Thank you, Andrea!  I was tearing my hair out! 

BSBecker
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you!  This worked for me!!

BSBecker
Explorer | Level 3

andreabonato  Nix that thank you.   It worked for a moment, but its obvious it is not syncing.  I just uploaded something from my phone and they are not talking to each other at all.

Ughh.. time to move everything to google drive or the cloud.

Need more support?