cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Mac running Sierra no longer supported

macOS 10.12 compatibility ended.

sergiopinto
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, 
I received an email saying that in June 2023 Dropbox will end its support for macOS 10.12.

My question is:
- Will syncing folders between my device and dropbox stop working?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@sergiopinto wrote:

... in June 2023 Dropbox will end its support for macOS 10.12. ... Will syncing folders between my device and dropbox stop working?

Yes. When support for macOS 10.12 ends, the Dropbox application will no longer be able to connect to the Dropbox service.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@sergiopinto wrote:

... in June 2023 Dropbox will end its support for macOS 10.12. ... Will syncing folders between my device and dropbox stop working?

Yes. When support for macOS 10.12 ends, the Dropbox application will no longer be able to connect to the Dropbox service.

jubei
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
What?? I had just renewed dropbox this month and had to previously upgrade from osx10.11 not even a few months ago which seriously inconvenienced me due to software incompatibility! Am really tired of Dropbox holding my files hostage and forcing me to upgrade my whole OSX just because of their one app!

Charlieb4u2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
So cross. Perfectly good laptop annoyingly tied in with several businesses on Dropbox that I’ll have to replace because of this!!

gorgar07
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hightail is a VERY good replacement. I'm not sure WHY we wouldn't be able to "connect to their servers", its an IP protocol and port number. I like how they say to just  upgrade to the latest versions. Some of us still have computers that WON'T support above 10.12. I'm not spending a couple grand to buy a whole new system when this one works flawlessly. Ain't broke, don't fix it. Sorry DropBox, sooo long.

Addie Dordoma
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I don't understand one thing.  DropBox on OSX 10.12 was working fine until they decided to switch it off. Would it cost too much to keep running something that has already been built?   

arcstudio
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Tell me more about Hightail. I need to find an alternative to Dropbox if it will no longer serve its customer base.

I need to stick with OS 10 to run (very very very expensive) legacy software and I need to sync across Mac and Windows 7.

I already lost many files when they stopped their support for Sierra in their previous "F' u" when work I thought was syncing was not.

arcstudio
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

What can be done to get Dropbox to restore Sierra (OS 10) compatibility? It worked so well before. This makes no sense.

I would think Dropbox would want to  keep its customer base and our continued subscription would be a fundamental goal.

dolphinUser1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

After so many years of working without problems, DropBox *killed* my working service on my Mac running Sierra. 

This is disgusting and disappointing. 

There is really no reason for not keeping whatever was running until recently going. I cannot upgrade and I don't want to upgrade to more recent macOS versions, thank you very much. 

DropBox has become more and more user hostile in the last few years. Time to move on.v

jubei
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Give pCloud a try guys. I've been using since this whole fiasco started. So far so good. Will be looking at Hightail too.

Oh, and today I tried login into my dropbox on my Macbook, can't anymore. Super disgusted. Give me back my money dropbox! I just renewed only TWO months ago!

Need more support?