cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Give users the option to NOT have PDFs flattened (so links in documents stay active / clickable)

Give users the option to NOT have PDFs flattened (so links in documents stay active / clickable)

easyandimpactful
Explorer | Level 3

I noticed with great surprise that Dropbox Sign would not only by default flatten PDFs where links were previously added, there is also no option to reverse/enable this. So that links would open in a new tab so the signee can check the links before signing a document, for example to confirm something. I get it that somebody may come up with some risk regarding security threats (but then again, how would there be a risk? Did it ever happen or did somebody THINK it may happen?). If we consider this for a valid reason: where is the difference between leaving links clickable in the first place, or to do this whole process to add Hyperlinks manually and inefficiently (which is possible currently), as also then, URLs would become clickable, only that it takes you a lot of time and is prone to error (e.g. if a few or many different links would need to be added). Anyway, it'd be great to give Users of Dropbox Sign the option to not have PDFs flattened.

5 Replies 5

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @easyandimpactful, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this with us and welcome to the Community!

I just wanted to mention that this option is actually available on the Premium plan of Dropbox Sign (you can see it listed under the 'Advanced signer fields' option on this page). 

This means that our system will flatten the PDF’s once they are uploaded into the editor so any clickable link on the original PDF won’t work unless you use the mentioned feature of the Premium plan.

I hope this helps!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

easyandimpactful
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter, thank you for responding. But what you describe is the opposite of what your colleague told me just this morning and another colleage the day before. They stated that also the Premium plan would not allow the links to stay clickable. I am sure you can re-read these messages in your system. Are you 100% sure that this works and if so, could you help me find a way to test this Premium plan for some short time? Since I heard contradicting options, I need to be sure that this works smoothly and efficiently with no further manual action from my side needed, aside from uploading the PDF with the links. Thank you!

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Clickable links which do stay clickable when the signer opens your request are indeed available to the Dropbox Sign Premium plan. 

Just to make sure we got this right though, you'd like the links to stay automatically in the PDF (and not to add them manually)? Is this correct?

As for a free trial for the Dropbox Sign Premium plan (which comes with a minimum of 5 users), I'm afraid there's none at this time. 

If you're still interested in upgrading your plan, you can reach out to our Sales team to get a custom quote. 

I hope this helps @easyandimpactful 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

easyandimpactful
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter - thank you, but I think you still do not understand me. What you refer to is the option below (please correct me if I am wrong, though!)

Clickable links are available on Premium plans.

To add a link in a document:

1. Insert a textbox where you need to add the link.
  2. Click the dropdown under Assigned To in the right sidebar and select Me (Now).
  3. Enter the text you want to appear for your link, such as “Dropbox Sign”.

However, I do not want to add anything manually. I simply want to drag&drop the PDF with the links on it to the envelope, send it to my clients and done. Now I want the client to open the PDF in DropboxSign, be able to click on all the links to open them and if all is to their satisfaction, sign the document.

Can you please confirm that this works as well and if yes, could somebody in Sales hop on a call with me and show me that it really will work? Again, I am a bit surprised that I am shown this option above to add links manually once again, but I already explained several times that this (imo inefficient) solution would not work. It would take too much time for many links and it is prone to error as well.

Thank you very much for clarifying this once again!

Walter
Dropbox Staff

At this moment, the only option is to add it manually (on the Premium plan), but thanks for the feedback @easyandimpactful - I've passed it on to the team. 

Also, note that phone support is only available to Dropbox Business and Dropbox Enterprise admins. If you'd like to get contacted by our Sales team instead, you can fill out this form

Let me know if you have anything else to add or ask. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?