cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox is installed on one user profile but other profiles get a pop-up to sign in to Dropbox

Dropbox is installed on one user profile but other profiles get a pop-up to sign in to Dropbox

Bdavi
Explorer | Level 4

I'm on a Windows 10 PC that uses multiple Windows accounts (local accounts, it if matters).

The Dropbox installer doesn't give the usual choice between setting it up for "all users"  or "current user".

As a result, the user who wants Dropbox is happy. But all the other users gets a popup *every time* they log in to Windows, asking them to sign into Dropbox and complete the installation. These users have no interest in Dropbox.

Is there any way to get rid of the popup for the additional users?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II

@Bdavi wrote:

Disable the startup of Dropbox for all users in Windows Settings, then create your own shortcut for Dropbox and place it in the Startup folder within your own user profile. See the following thread for more information:

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Bdavi, thanks for reaching out to us.

Would you mind sending us a screenshot of one of those pop-ups?

Does the Dropbox app work/sync as normal on the one user's profile?

Let me know.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Bdavi
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Hannah,

Dropbox is syncing and working normally for the one user who needs it.

Here's a screenshot of what the other users see every time they log in to Windows.

WycaRA0qKp.png

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the screenshot, @Bdavi!

If the users that are not using the Dropbox app, check their system tray (even the hidden icons), do they see a small Dropbox icon?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Bdavi
Explorer | Level 4

Sorry for the delay. Yes, the non-Dropbox users do have the icon in their tray. Hovering over the icon gives the message "Waiting to be linked to a Dropbox account." Clicking the icon brings up a screen with "Welcome to Dropbox. Please sign in to continue."

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for that, @Bdavi.

So, if they click on the Dropbox icon I mentioned, do they see a gear icon at the top right?

And if they click on the gear icon, do they see a "preferences" option?

If they do, ask them to uncheck the "Start Dropbox on system startup" setting in the "general" tab of the preferences and let me know how that goes, if it affects the user that's actually using Dropbox, etc.

Thanks!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Bdavi
Explorer | Level 4

Tried that, no joy. The gear icon takes me to preferences. But at that point, I only have 2 choices - general (language) and network (custom proxy).

Rich
Super User II

@Bdavi wrote:

Disable the startup of Dropbox for all users in Windows Settings, then create your own shortcut for Dropbox and place it in the Startup folder within your own user profile. See the following thread for more information:

Bdavi
Explorer | Level 4

OK, that'll work.

However, it's not typical for software to have this problem, and I hope Dropbox will consider adding it to their bug/enhancement list.

Neil K.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi

I have had Dropbox since it started. I have it installed on a Windows 11 Pro machine and this machine has multiple users. I am the only user that uses Dropbox.

In recent weeks all the other users get an annoying popoup every time they log into Windows asking them to sign in or create an account. This has never happened before over ther many years of using Dropbox.

I haven't changed anything and I cannot find how to disable this. I have tried completely removing Dropbox and reinstalling but the behaviour comes back.

I can only assume that this behaviour has started since some update, either Dropbox or Windows.

Can anyone help resolve this issue?

Thank you.

Need more support?