cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Desktop Folder

Dropbox Desktop Folder

Chappell
Explorer | Level 4

Does the Dropbox "folder" get installed automatically when the desktop "app" is installed? And what is the purpose of this "folder?" Can a user upload content either using the "folder" or the "app"?

I am new to Dropbox and really love it. Currently I use it only to store content in the cloud and do not sync any content. But I noticed that all of the content I uploaded using the desktop app is listed/viewable in the folder (which is on my computer desktop). 

Thanks for your guidance on this.

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II

@Chappell wrote:

Does the Dropbox "folder" get installed automatically when the desktop "app" is installed? And what is the purpose of this "folder?" Can a user upload content either using the "folder" or the "app"?

Dropbox is, primarily, a file sync utility. The purpose of the app is to sync your local Dropbox folder with your account online. It's not used to just upload files to your account. It syncs with your local drive. Anything in your local Dropbox folder takes up space on your hard drive.

If you don't plan on syncing files, you don't need the app. Just use the Dropbox website to upload and download files as needed.

Chappell
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for your reply, Rich. Actually, I just learned from support that content uploaded via the desktop app or web can be viewable in the folder without taking up hard drive space. This can be accomplished by either right clicking on the content in the folder selecting online only, or by using the selective sync feature under preferences in the desktop app and unchecking the folders you want removed from your hard drive, but which will still be in the cloud and viewable in the folder without taking up space. Between this great community group and people like you, and Dropbox support, one can really get a quick education. I've been experimenting with various cloud storage services and am amazed and pleased by how versatile and dependable the Dropbox desktop app is.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Chappell Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?