cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the Dropbox app slow when syncing?

Why is the Dropbox app slow when syncing?

Drajen
Explorer | Level 3

I see there is a common issue when it comes to Download speeds. I just can't believe how frustrating my experience was using Dropbox for big files. The lack of transparency, the lack of compatibility with mac users is nuts! I had to leave my computer on for 3 days in a row, downloading stuff at, apparently unknown download speeds (they just display the time that it will take, which fluctuates a lot and believe me, I have a solid internet connection and a CAT8 ethernet cable)
My clients send me big size files all the time and I am used to long download times but with Dropbox, it takes 10 times more. Why??? They blame ISPs in other posts, they blame people's setups but they NEVER blame themselves for having old tech. What is the point of SYNCING stuff, making it available offline or online as a fancy way to say we are downloading or uploading files?? So many things are wrong with this service, which is not that cheap btw. The only thing I am thankful for is for the 30-day trial so I can get a glimpse of what abhorrent option Dropbox is.

3 Replies 3

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Drajen, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you check if there is a limit on the bandwidth in the Dropbox desktop application?

Do you have any proxy, VPN, firewall, security software, or even ISP/router settings that could be restricting traffic to the following Dropbox domains?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Drajen
Explorer | Level 3
The so-called app has no limit under Preferences > Network > Bandwith. I tried with a big number and tried it with 'Don't limit' options, they BOTH suck and had the same results. Anyone reading this, do not bother changing that because it has no effect.
I don't have any other uncommon settings regarding proxies, firewalls, I don't use VPN not security softwares (again, I am MAC user). Hopefully someone at Dropbox can stop blaming people's setups and start giving real solutions.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Drajen, would you mind clarifying the exact version of the OS you're using, along with the Dropbox version installed on your device? 

I'm asking, just to get a clear vision and idea of what we're talking about. 

Also, what is the file size of the content we're talking about, and how long did it take for the content to sync? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Drajen Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?