cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant move files to online-only, due to lack of disk space?

Cant move files to online-only, due to lack of disk space?

doubtthatfr
Explorer | Level 4

I may be out of my mind here. Dropbox updated and now all my files that were originally online-only, are taking up space on my drive. I cannot sync/upload them.. due to lack of space on my drive? Granted, now my drive is super full now.. But since when can I not upload something because of that? Isnt that the point? Im confused as to why this is happening, and most of my programs require a ton of free space to operate, so its limited most of my work. Would greatly appreciate any help or tips 🙂

Screen Shot 2024-04-28 at 2.09.59 PM.pngScreen Shot 2024-04-28 at 2.10.28 PM.png

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II

@doubtthatfr wrote:

But since when can I not upload something because of that? Isnt that the point?

Because Dropbox doesn't just upload your file as is. The file is first split into 4MB chunks, then each chunk is encrypted and hashed before being indexed and uploaded to Dropbox server. If Dropbox doesn't have enough space to be able to do this work, it can't sync your files.

doubtthatfr
Explorer | Level 4

Update in case anyone ever has the same issue, what helped was clearing the Dropbox.cache folder, I followed the tutorial here: How to clear the Dropbox cache folder - Dropbox Help

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

doubtthatfr Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?